Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2016

Recipe Review from 4/11/2016

Spring has sprung, complete with crocus's blooming, a bit of yard clean-up, a bit of container gardening, and a bit of big-garden clean-up.   Not bad for mid-April in Duluth. 

I'm trying something new-to-me this year with growing my herbs on the porch.  Years past I've planted my herbs in the garden, 'cause that's what you do, right?  Except, when I'm making dinner and I realize I need parsley/oregano/marjoram/that herb and now I need to run out to the garden or send the husband and it becomes A Big Deal.  Plus, my herbs will double as my porch greenery and I don't have to go buy flowers.  Win-win!

 

I'm also giving homemade kombucha a try.  A co-worker gave me a SCOBY  (symbiotic 'colony' of bacteria and yeast) with a starter liquid so all I had to do was make the sweet tea.  So I did.  First tasting should be ready next Sunday. 


And I made a couple new dishes:

Sun (L)  Turkey Qunioa Taco Skillet  via pinterest (S)  Roast chicken and mashed potatoes (or pork?)
Mon (yoga)  leftovers
Tues (Block) leftovers
Wed (Park Rapids all day) leftovers
Thurs (yoga)   take n bake pizza
Fri (Block/Rocket) leftovers
Sat (Block)(L) Leftover soup   (S) Tortellini soup pkg

Lunches (Husband) sandwiches
               (Me) Slow cooked Taco Chili 


Slow Cooked Black Bean Taco Chili (Baked by Rachel via Pinterest)  gluten free
The photo grabbed my attention on this recipe, and once I saw this was basically chop and plop  assembly, it was on the meal plan.

Just a couple of alterations - I used turkey tenderloins, frozen corn instead of canned (and more of it), and fire roasted tomatoes instead of just plain diced. 

This is not a thick chili, but comes out more like a soup. 

  • 1 1/2lb chicken breast, trimmed of fat  (I used turkey tenderloins)
  • 15oz corn, drained  (I used 12oz frozen)
  • 15oz black beans, drained and rinsed well
    photo from bakedbyrachel.com
  • 15oz petite diced tomatoes, drained  (I used 14.5 oz fire roasted)
  • 1C yellow onion, chopped
  • 1C green red bell pepper
  • 1 jalapeƱo, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/8 - 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 1/2 - 3C chicken broth
  • Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • Tortilla chips
  • Sour cream
  1. To the bowl of a 5-6 quart slow cooker, add raw chicken breasts, beans, vegetables, spices and chicken broth. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8. Remove chicken breasts to shred, then return to slow cooker.
  2. Serve with shredded cheese, tortilla chips and optional sour cream.

Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet (Spoonful of Flavor via Pinterest)  gluten free
This comes together very quickly, with time to wash cans, dishes, and counter tops while the dish simmers.  I had one small substitution - I had some leftover and frozen mild breakfast sausage so I used that instead of buying ground turkey.

This was delicious!   I served it over some spinach, but it could be served in soft or hard shell tacos, over lettuce of choice, or on it's own.  I think this will make enough for about three meals, or close to it.  

Photo from Spoonful of Flavor blog.
  • 1/2 pound lean ground turkey (I used leftover mild italian sausage)
  • 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 4 ounce can diced green chiles
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1/4 cup jarred salsa
  • 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Cilantro for garnish (optional)
Instructions
  1. Spray a large skillet generously with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
  2. When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
  3. Add in the ground turkey and minced garlic and cook until the meat is almost cooked through, breaking it up into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks.
  4. Stir in all the spices and the diced green chiles, cooking for another minute.
  5. Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined.
  6. When the mixture starts to bubble add in the water, cover the skillet with a lid and lower the heat to medium-low.
  7. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked, it should still have a slight bite to it, but not be hard and crunchy.
  8. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid cooking until the cheese is melted.
  9. Serve as is, in tortillas for tacos, or on top of your favorite greens.
 

    No comments:

    Popular Posts