Search This Blog

Monday, July 3, 2017

Recipe Review from 6/26/2017

Well, that's a wrap for June!  The pup is now 14 weeks and starting to push his boundaries a little...no, a lot.  Hormones and teething - gotta love it!  We did our first offical non-yard walk with him on Saturday - three miles on the Lakewalk including a dip in The Big Pond (of course I left my camera in the car...).   Water didn't phase him much, the three miles pooped him out.  YAY! 


The Meal Plan from week of 6/26/2017
Super simple this week: a combination of leftovers from week previous, sloppy joes and brats.  Lunches were sandwiches (the Husband) and hummus sandwiches (Me).


Super Sloppy Joes  (Ckng Lght, Nov 2004)
These sloppy joes were really good - I wasn't certain about all the veggies (and there are a lot), but bottom line was, I liked the mix!  It was a nice change of pace from the "traditional" meat and onion variety. 

A couple of modifications - I used ground pork instead of beef.  I used 1 cup tomato sauce and cut back the water by 1/2 cup (I was out of ketchup).  I added one tablespoon of tomato paste for a flavor boost.   I'm waffling if I liked adding the 'shrooms at the end, or if I would have preferred to have sauted with the rest of the veggies and thus, steaming off some additional liquid.  A small thing.  I skipped the fennel seeds because I didn't have any. 

This made quite a bit.  I think we had three suppers for two and one lunch for one out of it.  One "joe" each. 


photo from cookinglight.com
1 pound ground round  pork
1 1/4 cups chopped green bell pepper
1 1/4 cups chopped celery 1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup water   1/2 cup water
1 cup ketchup  1 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms, chopped
6 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, toasted


 
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add bell pepper, celery, onion, and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in water and next 10 ingredients (through mushrooms); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally. Spoon 2/3 cup meat mixture onto bottom half of each roll; cover with top half of roll.


No comments:

Popular Posts