Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds

I wasn’t really looking forward to reading this book so soon after finishing Pushing Ice, but as it was for book group for July’s meeting, I felt I should at least start it. I had about 1/3 of it completed by the meeting.

Dan Sylveste is an archeologist and governing leader on the planet Resugam, except that he is over thrown and spends the next 20 years in luxury confinement working on his archeology projects. Khouri is a ex-soldier who woke up one day from reefer sleep to find herself on a planet far, far away from the war she was fighting in and from her husband. She is now an assassin-for-hire in the game Shadowplay, one of the best.

Khouri is contacted by the Mademoiselle who recruits ger to go kill Dan Sylveste for the secrets he carries with him and for his knowledge about the aliens he has been studying. However, the ship that is carrying her to Resugam wants Dan alive to fix their Captain who caught the Melding Disease and is now kinda growing into his ship. Meanwhile, something called the Sun Stealer has downloaded itself into Khouri's implants and she is waiting for it to do something nasty.

Like Pushing Ice, Reynolds seems to go on and on with his descriptions. Except this time he’s added in flashbacks. Lots of flashbacks. Flashbacks that explain something he explained at least two times before. It grew tedious. The story itself was okay, but it could have been a lot better with out so much extraneous, repetative, description.

At least now I can say that I read something by the GoH for next years Minicon.

2 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

I liked this book, with reservations. As always happens when a novel has two different story lines, I found one more interesting than the other, and resented it whenever the story switched back to the Sylveste story. He was such an irritating moron, anyway.

I liked the Khouri story, though, and I found the end very interesting. But it would have been a better book if it had been trimmed a bit.

Azazo444 said...

Kris--I'm glad I didn't read it then!! :P I don't have to read for scifi bookclub ever again, I can just read your reviews...mwuhahahaha!!! Just kidding...looking forward to the meeting, I'm actually reading "Rainbow's End"...hurray for me!! Tess

Popular Posts