Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Knitting Project #7 - Elfin Hat

This fall I decided to make the little tykes in my world some knitted hats, so I found myself a book with some hat patterns, obtained the necessary materials and picked a pattern. Then I got sidetracked by all the little pumpkin and squash hats as posted here, so it took me a while to get this one done.

This was a somewhat challenging pattern in that I could not for the life of me figure out how to do a cable-cast on. I still haven’t figured it out, but after ripping the project apart no less than three times (it could have been four) I decided to go with whatever happened. The other thing I decided I wasn’t real wild about, and this comes from my inexperience as a knitter, was the yarn and gauge were waaayyyy to small. The pattern called for 100g of yarn and I know I only used about 25g of it on #3 needles. So this hat isn’t real thick or hefty, but it should be a nice weight to wear under a hood for running to the mall or grocery store.

I don’t think I am going to make anymore of this style - the other tyke’s head has gotten too big and the pattern just didn’t enthuse me enough to want to do it again. I've also been promised some better pictures, so check back later to see the awesome little guy who received this hat!


Yarn: Wisdom Yarns "Chicago" 75% wool/25% nylon; 100g
Gauge: #3
Purchased at: Playing with Yarn
Pattern: Not Just Socks for Kids by Sandi Rosner "Elfin Hat"

No comments:

Popular Posts