Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy June! Garden update


Well, I think I have set a new record - I made exactly two new recipes the entire month of May. I honestly do not recall the last time I made so few. Wow. Why so few? I just haven't been in a cooking/baking mood; I've been outside working on garden and landscaping and by the time I'm done it's almost 8:30pm at night; and I was gone for four days over Memorial Day weekend.

Good news - the garden is almost completely in! I just have the tomatoes, peppers and brussel sprouts to plant; and one bed to dig up and plant to dried beans (Great Northern variety).

To date I have planted:
radishes (up)
carrots (up)
lettuce (up)
swiss chard (up)
parsnips
snap peas
summer squash variety
butternut squash
corn
soldier beans
cabbage

Flowers (from seed)
nasturiums
dianthus
marigolds (some came up - I was a bit too early with these)
moss flowers

The landscaping around the house is nearing completion. I just have to apply a bit more sand then I can put the plastic down and start hauling the rocks. It's just one side of the house that's left - whew! If I get off my tush and get outside (rather than sitting here blogging) I should be able to get some sand moved today.

THEN! I can start with the retaining wall on the north side of the garage. I think it will go quickly once I get the Dad out to help with the base layer. Once that bottom row is in it's just plunk! plunk! plunk!

And there is the never ending lawnmowing. Typically during June I'm mowing 2x a week. I have one lawnmower in the shop right now and they said it would be three weeks before it's done! I sure hope my second lawnmower doesn't poop out!

So there it is. No recipes but a garden update. I hope to pick up on the recipes again once the gardening/yardwork calms down. Vegetarian Times and Cooking Light both had some yummy looking recipes that I would like to try.

No comments:

Popular Posts