Search This Blog

Monday, June 15, 2009

Recipe Review from 6/15/09

Woot! Two more new recipes to add to the tally this week! I would like to do some baking one of these days, but I think I may have to wait for a while as it is officially WARM now outside. I also got some inspiration from EveryDay Food on the PBS Create channel for some great summer salads. I will have to get off my duff and look up the recipes on-line.

From last week:

Oven-Baked Sopes (gluten-free)
and Zucchini-Corn Filling
(May/June Vegetarian Times, pg 72) 4.0
These were really tasty. A tiny bit putsy in the assembly department, but nothing that was overly annoying. The Sopas come together super fast and while they are baking, the filling can be prepped. I also halved the Sopes because I really didn't need 24. Halving made 8, but I could have been making mine larger than I should have. I also know that I didn't flatten them nearly enough.

The zucchini filling was one of a couple recommended fillings - but really, you could do anything you wanted to.

Oven-Baked Sopes
3 cup masa harina
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 large egg, beaten
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup grated monterey jack cheese

1) Preheat oven to 350* and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2) Whisk together masa harina, parmesan cheese, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Stir in 2 1/2 cups hot water until mixture forms soft dough. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in egg and oil.

3) Roll 1/4 cup dough into a ball. Press into 3" disk on prepared baking sheet. Press and indentation into center of disk using small drinking class (use a bit of oil on glass to prevent dough from sticking). Repeat.

4) Bake 10 minutes, or until sopes begin to look dry. Sprinkle each with 2 tbs monterey jack cheese. Return to oven and bake 5-10 minutes more or until cheese has melted. Top with your favorite topping.



Zucchini-Corn Filling
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped (~1 cup)
6 cloves garlic (I used 3)
2 medium zucchini, cut into small cubes (~2 cups)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tbsp lime juice
chili powder for sprinkling
1/2 cup crumbled cheese of choice for sprinkling (I used goat cheese)

Heat oil in skillet and add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent. Add zucchini and corn. Cook about 7 minutes or until softened. Add black beans, cook about 2 minutes. Add lime juice and cilantro. Spoon onto Sopes and sprinkle with cheese.

No comments:

Popular Posts