Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lost Fleet: Dauntless by Jack Campbell

Fearless (The Lost Fleet, #2)Fearless by Jack Campbell


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Overview from Goodreads:  Captain John "Black Jack" Geary tries a desperate gamble to lead the Alliance Fleet home-through enemy-occupied space-only to lose half the Fleet to an unexpected mutiny.

We have here, ladies, gents and aliens, a classic space opera, now complete with a romance. Personally, I do not care for romance in my sci-fi, but that’s my quirk. Still, I thought Campbell handled it well, and particularly enjoyed when Capt Geary reflects that it was easier to figure out how to engage the Syndic’s than it was to navigate the mind field know as ‘woman’.


I couldn’t say exactly why I enjoyed this book. Perhaps it was because of the fairly well constructed space battle scenes. Perhaps it was because the reader was given an insight into why Geary is doing what he is doing with long term objectives. We have a modicum of dissent amongst the crews and personnel, but not yet so much that it detracts from the space battle happening around the planets in the system. This book was a good balance of fighting the known enemy the Syndics, handling internal conflict, with a tiny bit of romance thrown to round out the characters.


The only thing I did find moderately implausible was the mutiny - Geary liberates a POW camp which has a fleet commander known far and wide (20 years ago) for his so-called fighting ability. He rallies the discontent amongst Geary’s ships and skips town with a quarter of them. I can’t say more because I’m getting into spoiler land, but how Geary handled it was just a little off for me.


Looking forward to reading #3 Lost Fleet: Courageous.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts