Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

2013 Hugo Awards: Novellas

I'm attending the World Science Fiction Convention (aka Worldcon) in San Antonio, TX, this year.  As an attending member I am eligible to vote on the 2013 Hugo Nominees.  During June and July I've been reviewing the Short Stories, Novelettes, Novellas, Novels.    I was hoping to get to the Campbell Awards and maybe some movies, but ran out of time.  Click here for the full Worldcon 2013 Hugo Nominee list.   


In order of my preference: 

After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall  by Nancy Kress
This story engaged me from the beginning.  A very different end of the world/beginning of the new world plot - for the characters at least.  The reality of Yellowstone blowing, a microorganism mutating and tusunami's taking out the world - that is very real.  I like that mix of scifi and speculative works of nature.  Add in a touch of humanism and you have one heck of a story.

The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

Interesting concept.  Yes.  Actually, several interesting concepts deftly woven into this plot. To manipulate by telling the truth.  To bring into existence something greater than the original.  To encourage what is to be something more that what it was. 

The Stars Do Not Lie  by Jay Lake
Unfortunately, I bounced off of this selection.  It...didn't pull me in. I couldn't relate to the characters, the steam punk setting was just that - steam punk, and I was not interested in the religion vs science storyline. 


On a Red Station, Drifting  by Aliette de Bodard
I found this selection...tedious.  Not because of the use of the Viet culture - which was extremely refreshing from the usual Nordic backdrop.  I couldn't get into the story or care about any of the characters.  It felt heavy and bogged down, full of angry self-centered people.  I like my stories to be a bit more escapist.






San Diego 2014 by Mira Grant
Completely lost interest at page one.  Personally, I didn't want to read another Newsflash story.  

No comments:

Popular Posts