Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Buried Prey by John Sandford (#21)

Buried Prey (Lucas Davenport, #21)Buried Prey by John Sandford

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




Jacket Blurb:  A house demolition provides an unpleasant surprise for Minneapolis-the bodies of two girls, wrapped in plastic. It looks like they've been there a long time. Lucas Davenport knows exactly how long.  In 1985, Davenport was a young cop with a reputation for recklessness, and the girls' disappearance was a big deal. His bosses ultimately declared the case closed, but he never agreed with that. Now that he has a chance to investigate it all over again, one thing is becoming increasingly clear: It wasn't just the bodies that were buried. It was the truth.

Another book that had me from chapter one.  I loved the plot in this one, finally revisiting Davenport's early years when he transitioned from a uniformed cop to a plain clothes detective.  Using a cold case he worked on was a great way to bridge the two.  I also appreciated - again - not getting into the killer's mind until halfway through the book.  I'm guessing a bit here because I read this on audiobook and it was about disk 5 of 9.

I do reserve the right to be miffed as a major character is snuffed out, but I have to say it wasn't unexpected; it just took a lot longer to happen in the series than I would have anticipated.  Granted, it's not a "Game of Thrones" type series where everyone is getting bumped off, but for a cop series I was expecting a major secondary character to go much sooner.

And I still don't like Letty's character. I disliked her in the previous books and I disliked her role in this installment.

Even with my character complaints, which really are minor, this installment is in my top five Davenport books. Maybe even number one.  If I were to re-read one of these it would probably be this one.



View all my reviews


No comments:

Popular Posts