Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jhegaala by Steven Brust

Jhegaala (Vlad Taltos, #11)Jhegaala by Steven Brust

Book blurb: Fresh from the collapse of his marriage, and with the criminal Jhereg organization out to eliminate him, Vlad decides to hide out among his relatives in faraway Fenario. All he knows about them is that their family name is Merss and that they live in a paper-making industrial town called Burz.
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Book 11 is basically a mystery. Our hero, Vlad Taltos, has decided he needs to disappear and going to find his Mother's family seems to be the right way to go about it. However, what was supposed to be a somewhat simple geneological research, ends up being a mystery of great depth and peril.

I have decided this wasn't one of Brust's better Vald Taltos books. I enjoy the occasional mystery, but this just didn't have enough depth for me. Vlad spent the first part of the book walking back and forth between two taverns trying to solve what was going on, and the second part of the book lying flat on his back trying to solve what was going on. Throughout the whole thing, his familiar sounds like a parrot "Can we go now, Boss? Can we go now, Boss?"

The plot concept for the ending was moderately interesting, but how he came to the whole "who done it" while lying on his back was rather weak. I gave myself a week to mull my reaction over, and decided overall this book was just 'eh'.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts