Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

Live Bait by P.J. Tracy

Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)Live Bait by P.J. Tracy


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


It is not too often that I finish book one in a series and immediately start book two. I did here...




Premise of the book: Seven months have passed between the horrific murders based off a computer game by the company Monkeewrench and Minneapolis homicide has been in a lull up until now. Old people in Uptown are being shot to death, the body count is up to four and they all seem to revolve around one man, now dead. Suspect number one is the man's son, who also appears to be the next target and he's not talking.


What I enjoyed about book one and subsequently in book two is the strong main plot which is intertwined with these seemingly random subplots. It just amazes me how the authors can keep all of these threads straight *and* manage to weave them into a coherent ending that leaves me just delighted at its complexity.


I did find with book number two that it got off to a slower start and I found my attention wandering more than once, which resulted in more than one 'rewind' to find out what I missed. I felt the book really didn't start hitting its stride until nearly halfway through (I think it was about there - hard to tell with CD's). I also questioned the plausibility of the main subplot (three Jewish friends searching out and plugging Nazi's, 60 years after the war) only insofar as such with its feasibility prior to the era of computer search functions. I'm not saying it's not completely implausible; often murder mysteries are based off of some nugget of real life.


Recommended if you've read Book #1: Monkeewrench.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts