Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Flood of 2012

Got a boat?

Duluth is experiencing a wee bit of flooding today due to 8" of rain in 24 hours.  Major and minor highways and road of all kinds  are being shut down.  Mayor Ness had declared a State of Emergency.   We have sinkholes, washouts, mudslides, creeks, streams, ditches overflowing.  Our aging infrastructure is greatly suffering today. 

I wish I had some before pics so you could really get a good idea how bad it is, but here are a couple of pictures I pulled from the Northland News Center website:  Northland News   (more pics there)

Krenzen Auto dealership.  Those little bumps are  cars...
(I did not take this pic.)

The Miller Hill Mall area.  I didn't take this picture, but I was here about
the time it was taken.  Yes, stupid me driving into work... 


Usually the Miller Creek, which is the source of this plethora of water, is about the size of a large drainage ditch.  It's actually a protected trout stream.  But where else is 8" of water supposed to go?  

It's about 12:00pm on Wednesday, and it's still raining.  Water will continue to rise for the next couple of days, so we're not out of the woods yet. 

This is a massive flood event that Duluth hasn't witnessed since the early 1970's, and I can safely say that nearly 50% of the businesses in the pictures above didn't exist then. 

A picture of what is left of the suspension bridge at Jay Cook St. Park
(from the Husbands FB page)



Give me a blizzard any day, don't like this flooding at all.  Very scary stuff.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Stay safe! we are moving to Duluth July 1st and are watching with interest... hope you all are okay!
Elizabeth

Kristin said...

Amazing the difference between my drive home last night and my drive back to work this morning can make. Water levels were able to drop at least 1' in many places. Unfortunately the damage is already done.

Congrats on your future move! May everything go smoothly. You'll be here in time to watch the fireworks over the harbor. :)

Popular Posts