Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2018

Not Really a Recipe Review...

With last weeks snowstorm, the Husband out of town for three days, a couple extra yoga classes, and puppy/chicken duty on top of  two days of interviews at one of our satellite offices, I wasn't able to get to the grocery store.  At all.  So, this is going to be a take-out review.   A week of take-out isn't something we do, like, ever, but it certainly helped keep the stress levels down.  

And on a wonderful positive note - we hit 60* this weekend!!  First time in six months!!  WOO HOO!!  Pine siskins have migrated on, junco's are moving through, swans are flying over, and the snow is rapidly melting. 

Sun (L) leftover chili  (S) pasty with peas
Mon (yoga) Dickies BBQ
Tues (yoga) Leftover Dickies
Wed - Indian
Thurs - Chinese
Fri - leftover Chinese (I bought extra on purpose)
Sat (L) lunch out/Husband leftover Chinese  (S) co-op Pizza


Dickies BBQ   (Hermantown, MN)
Ribs, pulled pork, and baked beans, mac n cheese, coleslaw and mashed potato casserole as sides.

Dickies lands in the middle for barbecue - it's neither the best (that's reserved for Coopers in Luddock, Texas) nor the worst (which was a place in Independence MO, whose name I have long forgotten).  If I were to keep things more local in comparison, it's on par with Dave's BBQ and Texas Road House. 

The advantage Dickies has is how quickly we can get it to go - I think I was in the store less than 5 minutes before walking back out with all the yummy goodies - and it's on the way home so I don't have to make an extra stop.  They've done well when the Sibling and her family come up and we've gotten the family meal for 6 plus kiddos. Portion sizes are about perfect - I had just enough for Supper for me the next night. 

India Palace  (Duluth, MN)
Saag Paneer with basmati rice and Naan

I LOVE Indian food.  I LOVE Saag Paneer.  It's what I order no matter where I end up.   I will have to say this week it was absolutely fantastic.  Big chunks of cheese in a delicious creamy spinach mix - absolutely delish.  One order covers three meals for me; I knew this going in which was partly why I choose Indian.  One supper, and two lunches. 

China Star  (Hermantown, MN)
Sesame Chicken, Moo Goo Gai Pan, egg rolls, chicken wings

Thing is with Chinese restaurants, every one is just a little bit different: fry oil is changed more often (or not), sauces are a tich saltier or less so, veggie combinations slightly different.  And it could just depend on who's cooking in back on any given visit. 

China Star is not the most stellar Chinese place I've been, but they are consistently tasty enough and when I need something for dinner and don't want a take-n-bake pizza, I'll swing by here.  I always get chicken wings for the Husband (which are consistently good - better than most "wings" at a sports bar), egg rolls for me and some kind of chicken dish.  This visit I picked up two different chicken dishes because I knew we'd be needing supper the following night too.

Sesame chicken this go around, enough for two of us for dinner and the Husband's lunch the next day. Moo Goo Gai pan - ditto, enough for supper and lunch for him the next day.

No comments:

Popular Posts