Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2018

Recipe Review from 7/16/2018

I was out of town for the first part of the week, but managed to squeak in one new recipe from the August 2018 Cooking Light.

And speaking of Cooking Light, it appears they are not posting their recipe indexes.  Whether this is deliberate or an technical over site, I don't know, but it sure makes it hard to Rah! Rah! a recipe.  The recipes below are from the August 2018 Issue.  Lots of tasty looking recipes in this installment! 

My apologies, no pictures.  I rely on the magazines and well...they aren't posting anything right now. 

The Meal Plan:
Sat  (L) leftovers  (S)out
Sun (L) Gnocchi   (S) leftover turkey
Mon - Gone
Tues - Gone
Wed - Gone  Chili smash burgers
Thurs (yoga)  Leftover burgers
Fri - I forgot what I made... :)

Lunches - The Husband made a porketta.  I had a bagel sandwich on Monday, leftovers from the training on my drive home Wed, Thurs was a Country Fried Chicken potluck and Friday was leftovers.


Smashed Chili Cheeseburgers (Ckng Lght, Aug 2018)
I was in the mood for a burger and these sounded different and easy enough to make for a weeknight.  I had a jar of pickled "tamed jalepenos" languishing in my fridge which helped tip the recipe in my favor.  I did cut back on the chili powder because I have Penzey's "Medium" Chili powder and it has some significant zing.  My main alteration was I made these on the grill. 

Serves 4

1 lb 93% lean ground beef
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
2 tbsp light sour cream
1/4 cup scallions (skipped)
2 tbsp chopped pickled jalepenos

1. Combine beef, chili powder, black pepper and 1/8 tsp salt in a medium bowl.  Shape into 4 equal patties.

2. (I grilled - saved time in cleaning two pans.) Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high.  When pan is hot enough to release wisps of smoke, add beef balls and press down with a firm spatula to form patties.  Place  slightly smaller skillet directly on patties.  Cook until charred, about 1 minute 30 seconds.  Remove top pan, flip patties, replace top pan and cook until charred, about 1 minute. 

3. Remove top pan, sprinkle patties with cheese.  Invert top pan and cover skillet.  Steam until cheese is melted, 30-45 seconds. place patties on buns, top with sour cream, scallions and jalapenos.

Gnoccchi with Spinach and Pepper Sauce (Ckng Lght, Aug 2018)  vegetarian, vegan option**
A very tasty recipe but I think the ingredient amounts are skewed.  Fairly easy to assemble, but you will need a blender or food processor.  I adore gnocchi, and the pepper sauce was a great compliment to the little potato pillows.  I would make this one again!

Oh, skewed ingredient quantities - 5 oz pkg of spinach was way to much and did not wilt.  IF I were going to use that much spinach, I would take a moment and steam/wilt separately, then add in. 

Made 1 meal for two of us, with leftovers for one.  So I got three servings when made as directed. 

1 (16 oz) pkg whole wheat potato gnocchi (doesn't exist in my corner of the world, I used regular gnocchi from a local source)
1 (5 oz)  pkg Manchego cheese  (I used Parmesan)
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup roasted jarred red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup smoked almonds
1 plum tomato, chopped
1 (1/2 oz) baguette slice, torn  (you could easily use a slice of leftover bread)
2 tbsp sherry vinegar (I used red wine)
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1.  Cook gnocchi according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.  Drain gnocchi, return to pan.  Add spinach, 1/4 cup cheese, and t tbsp olive oil; coer and let stand until spinach wilts, about 2-3 minutes.  Gently toss to combine.

2. Pulse red peppers, almonds, tomatoes, baugette, vinegar, garlic, paprika, crushed red pepper and remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a food processor until smooth.  About one minute.

3.  Divide gnocchi mixture among 5 bowls.  Top evenly with sauce and remaining 2 tbsp cheese. 

No comments:

Popular Posts