Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2019

No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished by Rachel Aaron (Heartstriker #3)

No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3)No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished by Rachel Aaron

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



 Jacket Blurb:  When Julius overthrew his mother and took control of his clan, he thought he was doing right by everyone. But sharing power isn’t part of any proper dragon’s vocabulary, and with one seat still open on the new ruling Council, all of Heartstriker is ready to do whatever it takes to get their claws on it, including killing the Nice Dragon who got them into this mess in the first place.

To keep his clan together and his skin intact, Julius is going to have to find a way to make his bloodthirsty siblings play fair. But there’s more going on in Heartstriker Mountain than politics. Every family has its secrets, but the skeletons in Bethesda’s closet are dragon sized, and with Algonquin’s war looming over them all, breaking his clan wide open might just be the only hope Julius has of saving it.


Read as an audio book.

Book #3 in the series, you do need to read these in order.

Julius has overthrown his mother and the full Heartstriker class is descending up on the mountain for the first ever Dragon Council vote. Julius continues to face challenges from all sides as he forces the clan into change - his older brother Gregory attempts to kill him and then his mage and Bethesda schemes reach far despite being magically bound. Julius is pushing Chelsea to the edge with his demands to know why he can't free her from her bonds of servitude. While Marci and Ghost are being courted by the likes of Amelia, Raven, and Algonquin for powers she has yet to claim.

Technically, I shouldn't be enjoying these books because the base elements are exactly what I don't care to read: fantasy, young adult, coming of age, Very Special Snowflake syndrome, main character who runs around going "I don't understand!'...but yet (so far) the books work for me. I think in great part because I'm reading on audio and the narrator does an outstanding performance.

I'm not saying these books are perfect, however. I have found aspects of the dialog and scenes repetitive; in the middle of a fight scene, where action is imperative, our characters are carrying on an internal monologues that go on far longer than the fight scene should realistically last; and I personally, do not care for Very Special Snowflake Syndrome (aka Marci). And I admit this even when Marci is one of the more interesting characters, but....it's gone too far. Julius continues to annoy me. At some point the whining has to stop.

Aspects that keep me coming back: interesting supporting characters, deftly woven plots, fantastical world building, and the overall premise of the storyline.

This latest installment received four stars from me because I guessed the ending incorrectly. I didn't see coming what actually happened (and I'm being purposely vague). I had mentally assumed a different track based on past experience. So a tip of my hat to Ms. Aaron for that lovely bit of misdirection.

Recommended if you've read the first two in the series. Highly recommend the audio books.



View all my reviews



No comments:

Popular Posts