Search This Blog

Monday, February 4, 2019

Recipe Review from 1/28/2019

It got cold.  Like... -35* cold.  With a windchill.   Thankfully it was a short blast of sub-zero temps that's moved on.   And the cold must have messed with my memory, becuase I deviated a bit from the meal plan and I don't remember what I did.  I know we had supper...I just don't remember what. 

Only two new recipes to report: the Curried Chicken and Rice from ATK and the soup from Taste of Home.  Meatballs are a tried and true from a North American Hunt Club recipe book.  Pasty is store bought (Elliot's brand, my preferred).   And how can I go wrong with banana chocolate chip pancakes?  Yum!

The Meal Plan
Sun - (L) leftover soup  (S)  Cranberry Meatballs 
Mon (yoga/bookgroup)  leftover meatballs
Tues - leftover meatballs
Wed - Skillet curried chicken and rice  leftover meatballs
Thurs (yoga) - I don't remember...??
Fri (yoga) pasty
Sat (L) pancakes   (S) Skillet curried chicken and rice

Lunches - Easy re-fried bean soup

Curried Chicken and Rice (ATK) gluten free option**
Like the chicken and broccoli with rice I reviewed last week, this was easy to assemble and quite tasty.  It helped that this made three meals for two of us - I love my leftovers! 

I did make a few changes to the recipe (simplified).  I cut my chicken to eliminate the whole taking chicken in and out of the pan twice.  I used basmati rice to compliment the flavor of the curry.  And I used diced green beans (1" pieces) instead of peas...because I forgot I needed peas and ate them the night before.  But!  Green beans were really tasty, so, happy substitution.

Serves 4-6 (I got 6 servings out of this)

4 (6-8oz) chicken breasts (I cut into 1" pieces)
1/2 cup AP flour** skip or sub preferred gf flour
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 tbsp curry powder (less if your's is spicy)
1 1/2 cup long grain white rice (I used basmati)
3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas, thawed (I used 1 cup + diced green beans)
1/4 cup raisins (I used golden raisins)
1/4 cup cliantro

1. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.  Dread chicken in flour and shake off excess.  Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.  Brown the chicken well on one side, about 5 minutes.  Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

2.  Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the skillet and return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion, curry powder and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the rice and garlic and cook 30 seconds more, or until rice is nicely coated.

3.  Stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits.  Return chicken to the pan brown side up if possible.  Cover and cook over medium heat, about 10 minutes.

4.  Add peas (or green beans) and raisins and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed by the rice 10-12 minutes longer (or longer depending on your rice).  Let stand off heat about 5 minutes.  Serve.


Fast Refried Bean Soup (Taste of Home) vegetarian option, gluten free
This is fast to assemble.  Ridiculously fast.  And tasty.  A couple of swaps - I used frozen corn instead of canned, I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of stewed, and I used mild green chilies.  If you want more zing (ie - heat), use hot.  You could also bump up the heat on the salsa for more heat.  This made enough for lunches for me for the week, with a little bag of Frito's along side.  I'd make this again.
photo from Taste of Home

4-5 servings
1 can (16 ounces) spicy fat-free refried beans1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained  (I used frozen corn)
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth**  or vegetable broth
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up (I used diced tomatoes)
1/2 cup water
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
1/4 cup salsa
Tortilla chips (Fritos!)

In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through, 8-10 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Popular Posts