Search This Blog

Monday, December 30, 2019

Recipe Review from 12/23/2019

Hard to believe 2019 is winding down!  We've passed the Solstice so we'll start to see some longer days (yay!).  

The Meal Plan:
Sat (L) Chinese take-out (S) Meneman (scrambled eggs)
Sun (L) leftover soup (S) Slow cooker Italian Sunday gravy over pasta
Mon (yoga) leftover pasta
Tues - Sunday gravy over polenta
Wed (L) (S) leftover polenta
Thurs (yoga)
Fri


Slow Cooker Italian Sunday Gravy (modified from ATK; Slow Cooker Revolution; The Complete Slow Cooker)
This recipe shows up in several places under ATK's label. I have noticed they change the Italian sausage up at bit, one asking for 2lb of one kind, an another recipe asking for 1lb each of Hot and Sweet.; So....your call. I will also note, they mean encased sausage, not ground. One recipe calls for tomato sauce, another for tomato puree. Again...your call.

But, because recipes are guides, and I was using things I had in my freezer: I did 1 pound mild Italian ground which I broke into large chunks, and purchased 1 lb hot Italian sausage. I used tomato sauce, not puree and it was, well, nice and sauce-y.

I'm also going to note, this is really a recipe for the Husband - normally I don't make something so meat intensive. Or with beef. But with the number of veggie dishes I've been making this month, it was the least I could do. :)

This was very good and very versatile: I served over rotini pasta for the first two nights, hoagies for the next couple of nights, and polenta or hoagies will be for down the road. With only two of us eating this, some went into the freezer. Recommended!

Makes about 16 cups (enough for 3 pounds of pasta)  I used rigatoni.

Photo from America'sTestKitchen.com
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds hot Italian or sweet Italian sausage
(or 1 lb hot Italian sausage AND 1 lb sweet Italian sausage)
2 onions, chopped fine
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
12 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
½ cup dry red wine
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree (or tomato sauce)
2 pounds bone-in country-style pork ribs, trimmed
(I used 1.75 lbs boneless
1½ pounds flank steak, trimmed
Salt and pepper
chopped fresh basil skipped, to $$

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown half of sausage on all sides, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining sausage; transfer to slow cooker.

Add onions to fat left in pot and cook over medium heat until softened and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes and tomato puree.

Season spareribs and steak with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until pork and beef are tender and fork slips easily in and out of meat, 9 to 10 hours on low or 6 to 7 hours on high.

Transfer sausages, spareribs, and steak to cutting board and let cool slightly. Using 2 forks, shred ribs and steak into rough 1-inch pieces; discard fat and bones. Slice sausages in half crosswise.

Using large spoon, skim fat from surface of sauce. Stir in shredded meat and sausages and season with salt and pepper to taste. Before serving, stir in 2 tablespoons basil for every 8 cups sauce.


Buttermilk Waffles (Martha Stewart)
I received a waffle maker for Christmas.  I had buttermilk that needed to be used.  I made these and can only say, "Oh my!"   Crispy exterior, soft interior, great flavor, cooked perfectly...I can envision having buttermilk on hand just to make these.

Two modifications:  I reduced the butter to 1/3 cup and I added 1 tsp almond extract to the wet ingredients.  I think vanilla would also be a good flavor boost.   I'm making these again.  Soon!  Recommended! 

photo from MarthaStewart.com
2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 stick) 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp almond extract
Vegetable oil, for waffle iron (If needed...follow the directions on your waffle maker)

Preheat oven to 275 degrees; set a rack on a baking sheet, and place in oven. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, and eggs; add flour mixture, and mix just until batter is combined.

Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions; brush with oil. Pour batter onto iron (amount depends on iron size), leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides (spread batter if necessary). Close iron; cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to rack in oven to keep warm; repeat with remaining batter.


Tomato Soup (EatingWell Magazine, Soup Cookbook) vegetarian/vegan options
Made this for lunches and suppers for part of the week.  This comes together very quickly, with minimal hands-on prep and plenty of time for clean-up.

My observations - this tasted a bit "tinny" or "V-8 ish", not flavors I'm wild about and I think it's due to using whole tomatoes.  If I were to make this again - and I would give this another try - I would use 3 14.5 oz cans of fire roasted tomatoes for a flavor boost AND, I would add 1 tbsp tomato paste to the onions, celery and garlic after they have softened.  I also think fresh herbs are lost in this dish - sauteing some dried Italian herbs with the onion and celery would be better IMHO.

I served this with spanakopita grilled "cheese" sandwiches.   I made the calzones with this recipe earlier this Fall. 

So, soup is recommended with some reservations. 

Made enough for 6 (recipe said four, but I got way more than that)

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley
1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
1 (14 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth, or vegetable broth
½ cup half-and-half (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste


Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.

Stir in canned tomatoes (with juice). Add broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook for 10 minutes.

Puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Stir in half-and-half (if using), salt and pepper.

Recipe tip: To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Popular Posts