Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Part Time Gods by Rachel Aaron (DFZ #2)

Part-Time Gods (DFZ #2)Part-Time Gods by Rachel Aaron

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Jacket Blurb: Life in the magical mess of the Detroit Free Zone is never easy. When you’re laboring under the curse of a certain prideful, overbearing dragon, it can be down right impossible.

My name is Opal Yong-ae, and I’m a Cleaner. At least, I used to be. Thanks to the supernatural bad luck that turns everything I do against me, these days I’m more of a walking disaster. Getting rid of this curse is the only way to get my life back. Unfortunately, dragon magic is every bit as sneaky and deadly the monsters behind it, and just as hard to beat.

But I’ve never been one to take her doom at face value. Cornered doesn’t mean defeated, and in an awakened city that rules herself, dragons are no longer the biggest powers around.


Read as an audio book.

Oh my oh my. Where to start?

Overall, a mostly enjoyable plot. Opal is creative in trying to get around her curse. I quite liked Nik - Nik is actually the reason I kept reading this installment. And perhaps because of Sybil, Opal's AI. I thought Sybil was more interesting in Part Time Gods than Minimum wage magic. The reader gets to meet the God of the DFZ, meet Julius the Peacemaker from the Heartstriker series, Boromir makes an appearance (!), and Opal take Peter (the priest of the Nameless Wind), out for dinner. Those all were the high points in the book and what kept me reading.

Because I grew so very weary of Opal's constant cry of "It's not my fault!", her perpetual self pity, and instability to see beyond her own selfish perceptions. As the book progressed, she reminded me more and more of a over-indulged whiny teenager. By the time the book moved toward the climatic conclusion, I was ready to chuck my ipod out the window in disgust. But, it being my ipod and my only way to read audio-books, I didn't.

I am having serious doubts about wanting to read the next installment because I came to detest Opal. Do I want to know what will happen with the God of the DFZ? Yes. Do I want to know what will happen with Nik? Yes. Do I want to know if Opal can master her magic? Yes. Do I want to listen to another 9 hours of "It's not my fault!" "It's all my Father's fault!" "I'm no one's possession!" No. No, I do not.

So that's where I'm at. Quite enjoy the world, world building, and supporting characters, not enjoying the main character.

Recommended with reservations.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts