Search This Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Tier 1 by Brian Andrews and Jeffrey Wilson (Tier 1 #1)

Tier One (Tier One #1)Tier One by Brian  Andrews

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Jacket Blurb:  In a world violated by terror, the old lines have blurred. Meet the next generation of covert ops.

John Dempsey’s life—as an elite Tier One Navy SEAL named Jack Kemper—is over. A devastating terrorist action catapults him from a world of moral certainty and decisive orders into the shadowy realm of espionage, where ambiguity is the only rule. His new mission: hunt down those responsible for the greatest tragedy in the history of the US Special Ops and bring them to justice.

But how does a man torn between duty and revenge walk the line and preserve his soul?

As Dempsey struggles with the games of spies, the case propels him across the globe in a desperate effort to prevent a new, horrifying attack on American soil.

Once, John Dempsey followed orders blindly. Now he sees behind the curtain, and the security of the civilized world rests on one question: Can a Tier One Navy SEAL adapt and become the world’s most lethal spy?


Read as an audio book.

Predictable. Oh, so very predictable. It was like checking the boxes in predictability.

And, oddly, I was completely okay with that. I could just sit back and let the story spool out. No angst, no drive fraught with worry about "how will this turn out?!?", just simple enjoyment. Mostly. I became impatient with the pacing of the story with about an hour and a half to go. I think I was ready for the book to be done.

I will acknowledge a couple of items that did not fall into the typical thriller trope which I greatly appreciated. The love interest/unrequited love interest basis was established, but, it wasn't brought to fruition in book one. How this was written did NOT fall into my predictability boxes for which I was very grateful. Kudo's to the authors for avoiding this particular plot devise.

There were a couple of nicely done plot twists toward the end (which I won't divulge) that also skipped some typical suspense/revenge tropes and made for a stronger conclusion to book one while establishing the basis for coming books.

All in all, enjoyable. As I noted, I read this as an audio book. I thought the narrator did a good job with voices, intonation and emotion. I will probably read the next in the series.

Recommended if you like military/political suspense.



View all my reviews


No comments:

Popular Posts