Search This Blog

Monday, May 11, 2020

Recipe review from 5/4/2020

Meal plan went out the window this past week when the Husband had to do some remote field work and was gone two nights.  With just me bumping around the house, I didn't need to make everything that had been planned.     I did get to enjoy some comfort food favorite's though - fried egg sandwich on soft bread and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Yummy. 

Glacier, St.Mary's Lake   scifiwithparika (C) 2020


The Meal Plan
Sat (L) Take Out (S) take n bake pizza
Sun (L) molettes (S) pasty with veggie
Mon - leftover molettes
Tues (Husband gone for work) leftover molettes  fried egg sandwich
Wed (Husband gone for work)  cupboard scrounge/grilled cheese sandwiches
Thurs - Lentil and Chorizo Soup  leftover molettes

Fri - pasty with veggie

Lunches - hummus sandwiches and soup

Easy Waffles (Martha Stewart)
The picture promoting the recipe online, and the picture I saved from pinterest, are not the same waffle.   From my Google search, I thought I had picked a basic waffle recipe that would work in my Belgian waffle maker.  After assembling , I would say that this recipe is better for the small waffle irons (like the picture below).

Other than waffle iron appropriateness, these were tasty enough.  I did add a splash of almond extract because I love the subtle flavor it lends.   *I* probably won't make this recipe again - only becuase my Belgian waffle iron wasn't the right implement. 

photo from marthastewart.com
1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Maple syrup and butter, as desired, for serving


Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk milk and eggs; pour over flour mixture, and whisk gently to combine (don't overmix). Gently whisk in butter.

Following manufacturer's instructions, cook waffles until deep brown and crisp. (For a standard waffle iron, pour a generous 1/2 cup of batter into center, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edges, and close; waffle will cook in 2 to 3 minutes.) Serve warm, with maple syrup and butter, as desired.



 Molettes (Milk Street TV show)

Because I'm finishing this posting nearly a week late, and I don't have my cookbook sitting in front of me, this is going to be a recipe call out.   I have the 2020 version with all three seasons of Milk Street TV show represented.   I would almost advocate for buying the seasons separately if possible, because my binding has already broke and ripped due to the size and weight of this lovely cook book.

From this I made "Molette's", from Oaxaca if memory serves.   As the recipe is presented, it's a black bean puree (using canned black beans for convenience, if you wish), that is spread on a nice crusty slice of artisinal bread that's been drizzled with olive oil and toasted.  This is topped with pico de gallo, mozzarella cheese, and avocado.

I modified only a tiny bit and used hoagie buns that I toasted, so a bit more sandwich like and less "bruchetta".  Simply put, these were pretty awesome.  I also got something like three - four meals out of one recipe (two meals for two of us, two meals with just myself).    I also made my own black beans rather than using canned.  Canned would be fine and a definite time saver.    Recommended!

No comments:

Popular Posts