Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2020

Recipe review from 7/10/20 (and the rest of July)

Well, July got away from me and then I forgot to hit "publish", so this is getting posted a bit later than I would have liked.

We did a 4th of July dinner with my Folks, a trip to Madeline Island, and then I was in the Twin Cities for five days for a yoga training.  We had made reservations for Madeline Island back in February, and since we were renting a cabin with a full kitchen, we kept the reservation. The yoga training was originally scheduled for end of May, but YogaFit and the hotel came to an agreement for an alternate date and, while greatly modified, the training happened.

Madeline Island 2020 (c) scifiwithpaprika


Which means, not a heck of a lot of new recipes for July.  Seriously.  I think I made seven in all and they were all back around the beginning of the month. 


Korean Turkey Burgers with Kimchi (Eating Well, July/Aug 2020)
This recipe was originally published in Eating Well in July/August 2013)
These were remarkably easy to assemble, were the perfect size for a burger, and I had a "why haven't I tried kimchi on burgers before?!? moment. Only two substitutions - I used pork instead of turkey as I had it in the freezer and I subbed radishes for the cucumbers as I don't like cucumbers. We enjoyed these immensely and I would make them again in a heartbeat. Recommended!

Serves 4

1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey (I used ground pork)
3 scallions, sliced
8 teaspoons Korean chile paste (see Tips), divided
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise4 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
12 slices English cucumber (I used radishes)
1 cup kimchi


Preheat grill to medium-high.

Combine turkey, scallions, 5 teaspoons chile paste and sesame oil in a medium bowl; gently knead together. Do not overmix. Form into 4 burgers, about 4 inches wide.

Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees F, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and the remaining 3 teaspoons chile paste in a small bowl. Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with 2 teaspoons of the mayonnaise mixture, 3 slices cucumber and 1/4 cup kimchi each.

Turkey Picnic Sandwiches (modified from Cooks Country)
I made this for our trip to Madeline Island, keeping the ingredients separate until it was time to assemble and pack for the day's picnic outing. One major modification - I completely skipped making my own "focaccia" out of pizza dough.I bought some ciabatta buns from the co-op and used those, thus saving me several hours of putzing. While I love the ATK franchise, whoo, sometimes they do love to make things more complicated and time consuming than your average cook needs or wants.

We both greatly enjoyed these. The flavors are on the sharp side between the pungent sun-dried tomatoes and the tangy parsley, and they are nicely balanced with the gouda and roasted red pepper. I would absolutely make these again and I would have NO hesitation is using the ciabatta buns.  Definitely assemble ahead of time and wrap tightly in plastic wrap to give time for all the flavors to do their dance.   Highly recommended.


4 pre-made ciabatta buns or one larger loaf
photo from cookscountry.com
Toppings
4 ounces sliced Muenster cheese
8 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey
½ cup fresh parsley leaves
1 ¼ cups jarred roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry

Spread
¾ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and patted dry
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
¼ cup capers, rinsed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, minced
¼ teaspoon table salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

For the spread: Meanwhile, process tomatoes, almonds, capers, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes in food processor until finely chopped, about 20 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Transfer to bowl and stir in oil.

Slice bread in half horizontally. Spread tomato mixture on cut sides of bread, about ½ cup per piece (use all of it). Layer Muenster, turkey, parsley, and red peppers on bread bottom. Cap with bread top and wrap sandwich tightly in double layer of plastic.

Place Dutch oven on top of sandwich and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. (Pressed sandwich can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Let come to room temperature before serving.) Unwrap sandwich, cut into quarters, and serve. (Sandwich can be kept un-refrigerated for up to 2 hours.)

No comments:

Popular Posts