Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2021

Recipe Review from 8/9/2021

I fell behind on reviews, so this and the next couple posts are going to be abbreviated as I catch up. Notable are the recipes from Milk Street Tuesday Nights Mediterranean. Like other Milk Street recipes I've tried and reviewed, the were fairly easy to assemble, assembly time was pretty darn close, and the important bit - they were quite good. I'll probably be asking for this cookbook for the Holidays.


'Scuse me! 'Scuse me! Boat coming thru!



The Meal Plan:
Sat (L) BLTs (S) Fish with lemon-caper sauce
Sun (L) BLTs (S) Spicy Beef kebabs with tomatoes
Mon (yoga) - leftover kebabs salad
Tues (vet) - fettuccine with mushroom ragu salad
Wed (yoga)- fettuccine with mushroom ragu leftover kebabs
Thurs - fettuccine with mushroom ragu
Fri - leftover fettuccine

Lunches - hummus sandwiches, fruit, chips, nuts

 
 
Fish with Lemon Caper Sauce (Eat Better, Feel Better by Giada DeLaurentiss)
I checked this cookbook out from the library a couple months ago and made a copy of this recipe before I returned it. Simple to assemble with a handful of ingredients, this was fairly quick from prep to table. What I wasn't expecting was how rich this was going to taste. Now, I did use sable fish, which is a whitefish from Alaska that has a creamy buttery texture and has a "rich" mouthfeel on its own, so I suspect the sauce combined with this particular fish equaled and very rich taste. I also used too many capers. I like briney, but it was a bit too much.

I will absolutely make this again, but with a different kind of white fish. Recipe calls for fillet of sole, so I'll circle back round to something along those lines. Sable fish is a 'new to me' fish so I'm still getting used to where it's best used.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spicy Beef Kebabs (Tuesday Nights Mediterranean by Milk Street)
Another cook book I've check out from the library. I've learned to be a bit dubious when a Name Brand starts pumping out multiple cookbooks - is it really a new cookbook? Or a compilation of recipes already published from the[magazine][TV show]. I *think* these are mostly original recipes, still trying to do some cross checking to find out.

In the meantime, I made this. Indeed simple, just a handful of ingredients: ground meat, onion, pine nuts, seasonings, and tomatoes. Yup. And while the recipe states "kebabs", this is cooked under the broiler. Or, if its 85* with no air conditioning, on the grill. I also don't have a lot of luck when it comes to using my broiler so I prefer the grill anyway. These were very tasty. Spicy but without a lot of "heat", loved the warmed tomatoes, the combination was delicious. I would make these again. Recommended!


Fettuccine with Mushroom Ragu (Tuesday Nights Mediterranean by Milk Street)
As the title implies, the "ragu" is meatless, instead, made out of porcini mushrooms, onions and canned tomatoes. It was a toss-up between time to chop and cleaning up a cutting board and knife, or cleaning up food processor bowls (mind, I don't have a dishwasher). I opted for by hand and once that chore was done, assembly and cooking goes quick. This was quite tasty, hearty, and satisfying. I would make this again. Recommended!


No comments:

Popular Posts