Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Good OmensGood Omens by Terry Pratchett

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Jacket Blurb:  According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.

And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .


For March book group. Read in anticipation of release of series in May.

This is my third or forth reading, except this time I read as an audio book. Absolutely delightful!

What can I say that hasn't already been said - this is pure brain candy. Its a fun theological romp through the eyes of one angel and one demon, Aziraphale and Crowley, who have quite come to enjoy earth and humans and don't want Armageddon to come about. It's about mis-placing the Anti-Christ, Adam Young, who ends up being raised as a normal human boy in lower Tadfield. It's about finding love when it's been right in front of you all along. It's about strangely accurate prophecies and that sometimes, they're best ignored.

I found the supporting cast an absolute hoot - from the "Them" (Adam's friends), to the Four Riders of the Apocalypse, to Newt, Anathema, and Mr. Shadwell and his psychic lady friend.

I giggled at the subtle jabs at secret agencies feeding ducks around a pond.

I loved the insightful observations into the human psyche.

I just enjoy this book.

My previous readings of Good Omens must have predated 2007, which was when I started this blog. In 2011 I attended the North American Discworld Convention, which was Terry Pratchett's last American visit and what would become the basis for the Long Earth collaboration with Pratchett and Steven Baxter. Which I also just read.

But I digress. Good Omens. It's good fun. Go read it.



View all my reviews


 

No comments:

Popular Posts