Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2019

Recipe Review from 2/25/2019

With the previous weeks vacation, schedules got a little crazy.  Now I had planned ahead and made not only lunches for post-trip, but also supper for the rest of the week!  Go me!  It was so nice to be able to grab my lunch soup and go, and know that I had supper thawing in the fridge.

This is also going to be a bit of  eclectic review since I need to jump back and review the Korean Steak and Kimchi Bowl, in addition to the two dishes post vacation.


Korean Steak and Kimchi Bowl (modified from Eating Well, Jan/Feb 19)
Oh yummy yummy yummy!  Okay, I did have a few significant modifications - Husband doesn't like cauliflower, so I subbed brown rice.  I don't care for beef, so I subbed pork (I don't remember what cut I used).  I'm not going to try and find and buy gochujang in my corner of the world for ONE dish, so I subbed a lesser amount of siracha.  Curry paste probably would have worked too.  I skipped the sesame seeds and radishes.

Did I mention this was yummy?  Oh yes.  I loved the tangy kimchi against the nutty brown rice and creamy egg.  I would absolutely make this again!   I bet I could even sub tofu for the meat...

Recommended!

photo from Eating Well
Made 4 servings.

2 large eggs
4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
6 cups riced cauliflower   (I used brown rice)
2 scallions, sliced, greens and whites separated
1 tablespoon minced ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
1 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced  (I used pork)
¼ cup gochujang  (I used 1 tbsp siracha)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 cup shredded carrots
½ cup kimchi
Sliced radishes for garnish (optional)

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Set a bowl of ice water near the stove. Using a spoon, gently lower eggs into the boiling water. Reduce heat to maintain a rapid simmer. Cook for 7 minutes. Transfer the eggs to the ice bath and let cool for 5 minutes. Peel the eggs and slice in half.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, scallion whites, ginger and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm. Wash and dry the pan.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, stirring, until no longer pink, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in gochujang and sesame seeds.

To assemble, divide the cauliflower among 4 bowls. Top with the steak, carrots, kimchi, half an egg, scallion greens and radishes, if desired.

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (modified from Taste of Home Soups) vegetarian option
This was supposed to have chorizo in it, but I could not find an acceptable bulk - or even link - chorizo! I thought about, and bought, some andouille sausage, but...not the same flavor profile or even texture. I didn't realize until after I started the recipe that I could have subbed Italian sausage, but again, not the same flavor profile. After all was said and made - this was a very easy and tasty (mostly) vegetarian chili!

Recommended. 

Made 10-12 servings. 
photo from Taste of Home
1 pound uncooked chorizo, casings removed, or spicy bulk pork sausage  (skipped)**
1 large onion, chopped
2 poblano peppers, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups beef stock  (sub chicken or vegetable stock if omitting the chorizo)**
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup lime juice
Chopped jalapenos, chopped red onion and crumbled queso fresco, optional

1) In a large skillet, cook and stir the chorizo, onion, poblanos and jalapenos over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until chorizo is cooked. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.

2) Stir in tomato paste. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, beans, stock and spices; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in lime juice. If desired, top with chopped jalapenos, chopped red onion and crumbled queso fresco.


Chipolte Butternut Squash Soup (Taste of Home Soups)
For simplicity, you could purchase frozen cubed squash, thaw and proceed.  Or even pre-cut squash.  I had a bag of squash in the freezer that I used for this (note to self, next year use a vacuum sealed bag for squash). 

This comes together very quickly.  I will note - you WILL need something larger than a saucepan,  like a stockpot or Dutch oven.   I also am an advocate of immersion blenders because I really don't want to be transferring hot liquids from pot to blender and back again.

This is tasty, easy, and hit the spot on a very chilly week.  Recommended.

Made about 5-6 servings.

photo from Taste of Home
2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 green onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups vegetable broth, divided
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained  (I used 1 heaping cup frozen corn)
2 cups fresh baby spinach  (I skipped)
Fresh sage, optional 

1) In a large saucepan, saute the squash, carrot, onion and cumin in oil for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1-1/2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.

2) Transfer mixture to a blender; add the tomatoes, cream cheese, basil, chipotle pepper and remaining broth. Cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.

3) Return to the saucepan; stir in the beans, corn and spinach. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and soup is heated through. If desired, sprinkle with fresh sage.

No comments:

Popular Posts