Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2019

Recipe Review from 7/28/2019 and 8/5/2019

Double review today. Last week got away from me and I didn't get my posting done in time. And looking back at my meal plan, I didn't have anything written down. WTHeck?! I know we ate, just not sure what.


The Meal Plan from 7/28
Sat - fish tacos
Sun - leftovers from co-op
Mon (yoga/bkgrp) quinoa salad from co-op
Tues - leftover tacos
Wed (potluck at work)
Thurs (yoga/Subaru in for repairs) - Texas Roadhouse
Fri - I think we had a take-n-bake pizza...

The Meal Plan from 8/5
Sat(L) leftover Texas Roadhouse (S) Chef Salads
Sun(L) Chef Salads (S) Salmon Pasta Salad
Mon (yoga) - leftover pasta salad
Tues - leftover pasta salad
Wed - more leftovers!
Thurs (yoga) grilled pork steak and corn on the cob
Fri - Jalapeno popper burgers

Fish Tacos - my own "recipe". Bought some pico de gallo from the co-op (LOVE this stuff!). Seasoned and grilled a salmon fillet. Tossed some red cabbage with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Served in a soft shell flour tortilla.

Salmon pasta salad - I think I posted this recipe previously on this blog. This is a recipe the Husband found it years ago. Salmon (grilled, baked, or 3-5oz vacuum sealed pkgs), box of shell pasta, celery, carrots, red pepper, and kalmata olives tossed in a vinaigrette dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, salt pepper and a bit of sugar to balance everything out.  Grated parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. 

Jalapeno Popper Burgers (Eating Well, July/August 2019)
These were tasty enough, something different at any rate.  A small recipe gripe - do they really need to put addin ketchup in the directions?  Why not add the lettuce and tomato as well because those are in the picture?  Ah well.

Simple enough, a bit messy to assemble - I seemed to use a fair number of bowls and platters for this.  I recommend using wax paper or plastic wrap to make the "cheese patties".  Not as spicy as I would have expected, but had a lovely zing!  I used pork instead of beef (not a fan) and that was the only thing I changed.

Serves 4.

3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
Photo from EatingWell.com
¾ cup shredded spicy cheese, such as chipotle Cheddar or pepper Jack (See Tip)
1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1 pound ground sirloin (I used ground pork)
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
¼ cup ketchup (I used BBQ sauce)

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Combine cream cheese, shredded cheese and jalapeño in a medium bowl, stirring and mashing with a fork. Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each into a 3-inch disk. Form sirloin into four patties about 4 inches wide and ½ inch thick. Season with salt.

Grill the burgers until almost done, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place a cheese disk on each and continue cooking until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a burger registers 160°F and the cheese starts to melt, 1 to 2 minutes more. During the last few minutes, toast buns on the grill.

Top each burger with 1 tablespoon ketchup and serve on the buns.

Recipe Tip: These days, more flavored Cheddar cheeses (like jalapeño, chipotle or habanero) are filling up the specialty cheese section. But easy-to-find pepper Jack works great in this recipe too.



1 comment:

Karl A. said...

Oh yeah! I am sooooo trying the burger recipe out!

Popular Posts