Search This Blog

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Talking God by Tony Hillerman (Leaphorn and Chee #9)

Talking God (Leaphorn & Chee, #9)Talking God by Tony Hillerman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Jacket Blurb:  A grave robber and a corpse reunite Navajo Tribal Police Lt. Joe Leaphorn and Officer Jim Chee. As Leaphorn seeks the identify of a murder victim, Chee is arresting Smithsonian conservator Henry Highhawk for ransacking the sacred bones of his anscestors. As the layers of each case are peeled away, it becomes shockingly clear that they are connected, that there are mysterious others pursuing Highhawk, and that Leaphorn and Chee have entered into the dangerous arena of superstition, ancient ceremony, and living gods.

Read as an audio book.

It's been a few years since I've read (as audio) the first four in the series. I was quietly hoping someone would obtain the contract and produce the middle ones, but it never seemed to transpire. Maybe someday. And because it's been a few years, and I skipped a handful of books, the story line has moved forward a bit. That being said, it was easy enough to pick up the characters and plot and I didn't feel anything was lost in the story.

I really enjoy these mysteries. These are not "action" or "thriller" mysteries, but contemplative who-did-it books. I find the pacing about perfect - the plot just rolls out much like a newly paved road and because the ride (story) is so enjoyable, you're just pulled along. The little twists and turns keep the story line engaging, the characters have a surprising amount of depth without getting bogged down in details, and the mystery in this instance was a matter of watching Leaphorn and Chee figure it out because the reader knows all along.

If you enjoyed previous books in this series, you'll probably enjoy this one. I will note, there was a change in narrators, and I enjoyed both. Recommended.



View all my reviews



No comments:

Popular Posts