Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2020

Recipe Review from 3/15/20

How are ya'll doing out there in internet land? Are we coping okay? Little stressed out? I confess that my meal planning has been a bit more "seat of the pants" than not, where I have a vague idea of what I want to make but didn't write it down before I head to the grocery store. I've picked up a small handful extra ingredients that I can freeze, or shelf stable pantry items, just in case we need to hunker down even more in our little corner of the woods.

I picked up - rice, dried pinto beans, canned canellini and garbanzo beans, canned tomatoes, spaghetti and spaghetti sauce, cheese, salmon, pork shoulder roast, shrimp, evaporated milk, four bags of mixed frozen veggies, flour (AP and bread), sugar (brown and white), and chocolate chips. Because chocolate chip cookies make anything tolerable.

So I should be able to plan from those items above, needing only a handful of fresh veggies. So now I have something to work with and don't need to worry about "what if" the store doesn't have something.

Stay well!  Be well! 

Seven Falls, Sabino Canyon, Tucson AZ (C)2020 by scifiwithpaprika

Last weeks Meal Plan:
Sat (L) leftovers (S) Kimchi and bacon fried rice
Sun (L) leftovers (S) chili
Mon (yoga) chili
Tues - take n bake pizza
Wed - chili with polenta
Thurs - salmon and quinoa chili and polenta
Fri - leftover lentil soup

Lunches (Husband) sandwiches; (Me) lentil soup

Egyptian Lentil Soup (Eating Well, March 2020) vegetarian/vegan
This comes together very quickly, using items that I mostly had on hand.  My tomato went composty before I could use it, but we were making chili so I took a half cup of diced canned tomatoes and use those.  Worked just fine.

I also only had 2 cups of red lentils, so I subbed that 1/2 cup with brown lentils.  Also worked just fine, but it did make my soup a little "muddy" colored.

My big question with this was what to top it with - in the picture it looks like olive oil and some kind of dried pepper.  I went with toasted pumpkin seeds, which were okay, but this could have used a little extra kick.  If you have any suggestions, send them along!

Recommended.

Serves 4-6 (I had five lunches, and one dinner serving two)

photo from eatingwell.com
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
½ cup sliced carrots
½ cup diced tomato
⅓ cup sliced yellow onion
2 tablespoons sliced garlic
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
2 ½ cups yellow or red lentils
9 cups water

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, tomato, onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato has broken down and is starting to stick to the bottom of the pan, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato paste is browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add lentils and water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the soup is thickened, about 25 minutes.

Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids).

Recipe Notes: Use red, yellow or even brown lentils to make this iconic and super-simple Middle Eastern soup. Skip green or black lentils, which won't soften enough to puree smoothly. (Recipe adapted from Zooba Restaurant.)



Kimchi and Bacon Fried Rice (modified from Milk Street Tuesday Nights)
Sorry, no picture for this one. Was going to and forgot because I was distracted with how darn tasty this was!

I don't have access to Japanese rice in town, so I used Arborio. I did rinse the rice before cooking, to prevent it from sticking too much. Definitely make the rice ahead of time (or buy plain rice for take-out).

Original recipe called for peas, I subbed edamame because I had a bag in the freezer (kinda seemed intuitive to use edamame).

I cut back on the kimchi, two cups seemed overwhelming for the dish, but it's also going to depend on what kind of kimchi you have access too and how much heat you like. One cup was quite perfect for us.

And I don't own a non-stick skillet, so I made this in my 10" cast iron skillet.  Not quite big enough, but I knew that going in, but I got browning!  And minimal sticking!  Yay!  Success!

DON'T FORGET TO COOK THE EGGS. Like I did the first time. So bummed! Honestly though, this was also good without the egg, but better with. You can fry the eggs in the same pan you cooked the rice, but I found it simpler, and cleaner, to start poaching while the rice was cooking.

Highly recommended. Served 4.

3 1/4 cups short-grain rice, chilled (I used Arborio; Japanese recommended)
6 oz bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup kimchi, well-drained, roughly chopped
2 tbsp reserved kimchi juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
4 green onions, diagonally sliced
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
4 large eggs
salt and fresh ground pepper

Recipe notes: Don't use long-grain rice. The Japanese-style short-grain rice gives the dish a satisfying stickiness and chew. Don't use a conventional skillet; a nonstick pan is needed to prevent the rice from sticking.

My Notes: make sure you use chilled rice. Break up any large clumps with your fingers.

In a large non-stick skillet (12" - 14"), cook bacon over medium heat until well browned. Drain, reserving the fat, and set the bacon aside.

Start a sauce pan heating with enough water to poach two to four eggs.

Return 1 tbsp of bacon fat to the pan, add the onion an cook over medium, stirring until softened. Stir in the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drizzle the kimchi juice, soy sauce and 1 tbsp of the bacon fat over the rice and stir. Spread the rice in a even layer in the pan, increase the heat to medium-high or high and cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes.

Scrape along the bottom of the pan and flip the rice, then spread and cook again until browned on the bottom, another 2-3 minutes. Stir in the kimchi, edamame, sesame oil, and scallions. Cook, stirring until hot, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Poach two to four eggs while rice is resting to desired consistency. Divide rice into bowls, serve poached eggs over rice and sprinkle with reserved bacon bits.

No comments:

Popular Posts