Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Kevin Belton's cook books (long)

Today I'm going to gush about three cookbooks that I've been referencing the last two years AND which inspired a trip to New Orleans last Fall (2019).   Enjoy!


Kevin Belton’s Big Flavors of New OrleansKevin Belton’s Big Flavors of New Orleans by Kevin Belton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Jacket Blurb: Chef Kevin Belton, a true Creole New Orleanian, dishes up the culinary history of his city with recipes that provide both down-home comfort and the big flavors he is famous for. He teaches how to make a perfect roux and explains the background of that holiest trinity of Creole cooking–celery, onion, and bell pepper–while offering his spin on the Louisiana classics of gumbo, jambalaya, étouffée, po’boys, and grillades with grits.

Chef Belton’s signature dishes like Pecan-Crusted Redfish, Stuffed Mirlitons, Louisiana Boudin-Stuffed Quail, Creole Cottage Pie, and Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce are not to be missed and are well worth the time in the kitchen!


First came binge watching Kevin's show a couple years ago (2018?), which I think was season 2 on Create. Then the Husband bought me this cook book and I enjoyed it so much I went and bought New Orleans Kitchen - yes, I know TV show and cook book purchases are all out of order. PBS Create cycles through season 1 and 2 enough that they have become interchangeable in my world.

This Northern Girl (from near the Headwaters of the Mississippi) is now obsessed with Southern cooking. I found this cook book approachable and enjoyable. It's a melding of variety, flavors and ethnic influences.

There are some ingredients I simply don't have access to in Northern Minnesota such as fresh crab, oysters and crawfish, but there are plenty of recipes that I can make. It has also been a bit of a challenge finding a good or "authentic" Creole seasoning. Purchasing online is an option, but...who to pick? Is it a good price? Balanced seasonings we'll like or heavy on the heat? Ultimately, we made our own from a couple recipes we found online.

This is also a cook book I sat down and read. I liked the blurbs before each section, the glimpses of living and growing up in New Orleans, of the people who migrated, worked and eventually settled in NOLA and brought their own food influences.

If you enjoy southern cooking, check out this cook book AND watch the TV show. Recommended!






Kevin Belton's New Orleans KitchenKevin Belton's New Orleans Kitchen by Kevin Belton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Jacket Blurb: The next cookbook from the star of TV series New Orleans Cooking with Kevin Belton . . .
The gregarious star of the popular television cooking show, New Orleans Cooking with Kevin Belton, is at it again with a second cookbook showcasing even more of his delicious Creole and Cajun recipes.

Kevin Belton's New Orleans Kitchen offers tasty New Orleans classic dishes like Crawfish Pie, Fried Oyster Po-Boy with Blue Cheese and Buffalo Sauce, and Duck and Andouille Gumbo with Potato Salad, as well as foreign favorites with a little New Orleans twist, like Cuban Paella, Vietnamese Wonton Soup with Shrimp Dumplings, and Greek Souvlaki with Tzatziki. Belton's exciting flavors and engaging writing alongside Eugenia Uhl's mouthwatering photographs make this new cookbook a must-have.

A nationally and internationally recognized chef and educator as well as the star of PBS/WYES's New Orleans Cooking with Kevin Belton, and now Kevin Belton's New Orleans Kitchen, Chef Kevin is known for his expertise in creating New Orleans cuisine as well sharing the culture and culinary heritage of the greatest city in the world.



See also my review on Kevin's Big Flavors of New Orleans.

I greatly enjoy Kevin's cook books and TV shows. It started with Season 2 on PBS Create and the cook book Big Flavors of New Orleans. And impulse purchased New Orleans Kitchen. Followed by a trip to Abita Springs, Covington, and New Orleans last Fall.

Did I mention I'm a bit fascinated with Southern cooking right now?

What I enjoyed about this cook book was the exploration of the immigrants and their food that helped shape NOLA. The recipes are approachable, reasonable, and very tasty. I don't think I've made one yet that I didn't like.

That being said, I do find myself modifying some recipes to make them a bit 'lighter'. I cringe using that word in relation to cooking because it can have such negative connotations, but, for example, the Crawfish Bread (awesome! btw), called for 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and 3/4 cup Monterey Jack. YWhile I do love my cheese, I cut the amounts back and it was still just as cheesy and delicious.

And no fault of the cook book, more a problem with where I live, some ingredients just aren't available (fresh crab, oysters, and crawfish) in my area. Which is a bummer.

If you want to try some Southern Cooking, or expand on Southern Cooking, this would be a good cook book to check out. I also recommend Kevin's series on PBS Create. Happy cooking!






Kevin Belton's New Orleans CelebrationsKevin Belton's New Orleans Celebrations by Kevin Belton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Jacket Blurb:  Celebrate like they do in The Big Easy with Chef Kevin Belton's newest cookbook.

The spotlight in this third book from the star of New Orleans Cooking with Kevin Belton is on the festivals and celebrations of the Big Easy and surrounding areas. New Orleans is known as the Festival Capital of the World, hosting dozens of annual festivals that showcase the unique food and multicultural heritage of the city.

Kevin Belton's New Orleans Celebrations will be a smorgasbord of delicious creations from vibrant festivals like the French Market Creole Tomato Festival, Bastille Day Fete, the Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival, and more. Recipes include Ham Croquettes with Pear Pepper Jelly, Bacon and Barbecue Quiche, Crawfish Enchiladas and Creole Tomato, and Crawfish Macaroni and Cheese.

A nationally and internationally recognized chef and educator as well as the star of PBS/WYES's New Orleans Cooking with Kevin Belton, and now Kevin Belton's New Orleans Kitchen, Belton is known for his expertise in creating New Orleans cuisine and sharing the culture and culinary heritage of the greatest city in the world. He resides in New Orleans.


See also my reviews on Kevin's Big Flavors of New Orleans and New Orleans Celebrations - I really enjoy these cook books.

New Orleans Celebrations covers the great variety of festivals and food festivals held in Louisiana. I've been watching Season 3 on PBS Create (when they show it, Create can be a bit...inconsistent) and I find myself going "Ooo! When is the jambalaya festival?" "Ooo! When is the gumbo festival?" "OOO! When is the Oyster festival?!?" 'Course, we already did our trip to NOLA last fall, and probably won't get back for a while.

This installment continues to be consistent in it's presentation, approach-ability, and deliciousness. For example, I made all three jambalaya recipes over a three week period. All good. Very good.

I will add, while we did purchase a large quantity of Creole Seasoning while in New Orleans, I'm nearly out. These recipes call for tablespoons at a time and I think I'll revert to making my own rather than spending $$$ on shipping.

Overall, a fun, interesting, and very tasty cook book. I recommend all three by Kevin Belton and want to say THANKS to for introducing me to the flavors of the South. So. Much. FUN!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts