Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2020

Recipe Review from 4/13/2020

I made a few more masks this past week - a handful more for the Husband and I and my parents, and five for my Husbands co-worker.  I almost had a moment of dismay, when I thought the bobbin ensemble (the bit under the sewing machine) broke.  Fortunately, got it working again.  Whew!


This has also brought back an interest in perhaps quilting again.  It's been enjoyable playing with fabric, and I pulled out my (small) stash and started contemplating colors and patterns.  We'll see what happens.  It might be a "putter" project - something to putter on when the weather isn't nice enough to play outside.

Meanwhile, I made a few new recipes this past week!

The Meal Plan
Sat (L) leftover pasta e fagoili   (S)
Sun (L) (S) pastalaya
Mon - chicken and waffles!
Tues - leftovers pastalaya
Wed - leftover chicken and waffles
Thurs - leftover chicken and waffles
Fri - leftover chicken w/mashed potatoes and veggies

Lunches - (me) Jamacian split pea soup   (Husband) sandwiches


First, two recipes from a recently released cookbook.  I'm not comfortable copying out of a brand new release, so I will direct you to Amazon or your local library.   Honestly?  I'm in love with this cookbook!  Stay tuned for more feedback!

Milk Street Instant Pot Fast and Slow

Farro and Dried Apricot breakfast porridge (vegetarian)
I really liked this, the Husband was less than enthused.  I thought this was creamy, tangy, and filling.  The farrow was a nice change to oatmeal - little plump nutty nuggets of whole grain yummy.  This did make good leftovers - in fact, I had it as a mid-morning snack a couple of days.   Makes 4-6 servings.  Recommended!

Jamacian Split Pea Soup  (vegetarian)
Super easy to assemble with a handful of ingredients.  I think I only needed to purchase cilantro and a habenaro.   What?!?  A habenaro?  Yup - there is some kick to this.  Omit if you are heat sensitive or there are little taste buds in your family.   This did thicken substantially after cooking and cooling.  It does re-heat quite well, but just add some water to thin it out again.  Made make 6 servings.  Recommended!


Pastalaya (New Orleans Celebrations by Kevin Belton)
This is jambalaya with a twist - spaghetti instead of rice.  And easier to make!  This is a one-pot meal, no need to cook the spaghetti separate, it's all done in one big stockpot.

Only a couple of modifications: Use your favorite kind of smoked sausage; I used smoked polish sausage but keilbasa or another regional favorite would be just as tasty.  I used regular spaghetti instead of the thin called for.  I would actually recommend regular. 

While things were cooking (one pot!) I had enough time to tidy the kitchen and set the table.  This did make enough for 6-8 servings (closer to 6 if you have some robust appetites in your family).  I would make this again.  Recommended!

Serves 6 to 8

photo from WYSE.com
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound smoked sausage (I used polish sausage)
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (I used tsp dried)
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 pound thin spaghetti, broken (I used regular spaghetti, worked fine)
4 cups chicken stock
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup sliced green onions

In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat and add sausage. Cook for 2 minutes then add onion, celery, and bell pepper, cooking
for another 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, Creole seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Stir in tomato paste, then after 1 minute, stir in spaghetti and mix well. Add stock, stir, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat low, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley and green onions. Cover and let rest 5 minutes before serving.




Chicken and Waffles (New Orleans Celebrations by Kevin Belton)
I made fried chicken!  I didn't stink up the house!  I didn't get grease everywhere!  GO me!

This was a first for us, at home at least.  I think the Husband has had chicken and waffles in a restaurant, but not something we would think of making here.   Then I saw the episode where Kevin highlighted chicken and waffles and I knew I had to try them!

Success!

Our main observation was, for the amount of Creole seasoning, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and other seasonings, these were a bit on the...bland side.  Our speculation was this is more "comfort food" than highly seasoned dinner (or breakfast).   Good and different, I would make them again. 

Also noting, these also made a lot for us - three dinners with chicken and waffles and one dinner with only chicken leftovers.  Recipe made 5 Belgain-style waffles. 

4 hours to 1 day ahead:  marinate the Chicken
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp Creole Seasoning
2 tbsp hot sauce
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp salt and pepper

Combine buttermilk and hot sauce salt in a bowl and mix well.

Pound the chicken thighs into an even thickness, about 1/4"-1/2" (place between two sheets of plastic wrap, or in a gallon ziplock bag, pound with a small skillet, rolling pin, meat mallet).  Season flattened thighs with Creole seasoning, salt and pepper.  Place in a 9x9 glass baking dish or a one gallon ziplock bag and cover with buttermilk mixture.  Marinate 4 hours or overnight.  Discard marinade.


Waffles
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup corn meal (not polenta!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4-8 scallion stems, chopped

Preheat oven to 275*

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and mix with a whisk.

Combine wet ingredients (up through butter) in a second bowl, mix.

Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients until just moistened.  Add cheese and onions.  Stir gently to combine.

Heat waffle iron according to manufactures directions.  Cook waffles according to your machines time (mine took 3-4 minutes for a Belgian waffle maker).  Place cooked waffles in warm oven until ready to serve.

Chicken Coating
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal (not polenta!)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp Creole seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup buttermilk
Oil for frying (I used Grapeseed oil)
In a heavy bottomed skillet or Dutch oven, heat 1" of oil over medium high heat until temperature reads 350* to 375*.

Mix dry ingredients in a shallow dish (like a pie plate)

Put buttermilk in a second shallow dish (like another pie plate).

Drain chicken from marinade, dip in flour (shake off extra), dip in buttermilk, dip back in flour mixture and shake off extra.  Place 2 - 3 pieces of chicken into pre-heated oil and cook until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes.   My notes - it really doesn't take long!  And don't crowd the pan.   Place finished chicken on a rack to drain and pop into the oven to keep warm with waffles.

Serve chicken over, under, along side waffles and sprinkle with extra cheddar cheese. 



No comments:

Popular Posts