Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2020

Recipe Review from 6/1/2020

We are apparently in a bit of drought in my corner of the world.  Rain seems to literally slide north and south of us - I can see the clouds in both directions, we watch the storms split as it approaches Duluth and re-form heading back over Wisconsin.  Lake Superior is obviously doing something to make this happen.  In the meantime...we're watering the garden every night. 

Happiness is lots of little violets 
photo from scifiwithpaprika.blog



Two new recipes this past week - kinda three, but I don't know that learning how to make chickpeas in the instant pot is really a recipe.  More technique perhaps?  Anyway, the butter chicken I reviewed last week, chickpeas for the chickpea dish are on this week. 



The Meal Plan:
Sat (L) Leftovers   (S) butter chicken
Sun (L) chickpea dish  (S),  butter chicken
Mon - butter chicken
Tues - brats and broccoli salad
Wed - butter chicken
Thurs - brats
Fri (off) (L) out   (S) hash

Chipolte-Cheddar Sweet Potato and Ham Hash (modified from Eating Well, May 2020)
Oddly, I can't find this recipe on the Eating Well website, so I don't have a link or a photo. 

This was good - it's quick, it has some versatility (I subbed breakfast links for the ham) and can be Sunday breakfast or Tuesday dinner.  I did have to cook this in two batches, as my "large" pan, wasn't quite large enough. 

I will note, this really only serves two.  It seemed like a lot in the bowl but as the potato cooks down and it became rather small portions.  So if you are planning on a meal for four, or want leftovers,  bumping up amount the potato and meat might be necessary. 

Serves 2-3

1 1/4 lb sweet potato, scrubbed and peeled (if desired), and shredded
5 scallions, sliced, divided
1 cup diced boneless ham steak (I used chopped sausage links)
1 tbsp chopped chipolte pepper in adobo sauce
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsp canola or avocado oil (I used grapeseed)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 large eggs

1. Mix sweet potatoes, 4 scallions, ham, chipolte and salt in a large bowl.

2. Heat 2 tsp oil in a a large cast iron or non-stick pan over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and add the hash, spreading in an even layer. Cook, turning occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are soft and starting to brown, 8-10 minutes.  Drizzle the remaining 2 tsp oil around the edge and tilt the pan to help the oil flow under the hash.  Reduce heat to low and sprinkle the hash with cheese.  Cover and cook until the cheese is melted, 2-4 minutes. 

3.  Meanwhile, in a separate pan, cook the eggs as desired - fried, scrambled, poached  (I poached mine).  Serve eggs on top of hash. 




Chickpea and Pita Salad with Yogurt and Mint  (Milk Street Fast and Slow cookbook)

I made the Simple Chickpea recipe for chickpeas for this dish.  This was my first time using dried chickpeas; I've always used canned.  Easy, convenient, and I can store in the basement rather than the already (overfull) freezer.  But I've had enough people enthuse about using dried that I thought I would give it a try.

Okay...we might be on to something here.  Using Milk Street's recipe that includes aromatics such as bay leaf and garlic, these cooked up nicely and had a lovely flavor. 

The Chickpea Salad
The recipe blurb states this is a variation of Levantine fatteh, "...which is made with stale pita bread and often eaten for breakfast."   They use pita chips and I had it for lunch/supper.   I couldn't find whole milk yogurt as the recipe called for, so I used Greek.  Even mixed with the tahini sauce, the dressing was quick thick because of that, more like a dip. but we went with it and actually ate the leftover pita chips dipped in the mixture.  Yum!   

I liked this recipe a lot and can see making it over the summer when temps start to climb.  I strongly recommend this cook book if you have an instant pot or slow cooker. 

No comments:

Popular Posts