Search This Blog

Monday, June 22, 2020

Recipe Review from 6/22/2020

It was a busy week and I admit that my meal plan wasn't quite adhered to.  Problem is, I don't remember what swapped out where so there are some blanks.  I think I did take n bake pizza.  That's what I usually turn to when feeling uninspired to make dinner.


cyclist, Manitowac, WI   
photo (C) 2016 scifiwithpaprika



The Meal Plan:
Sat (L) leftovers (S) Father's Day dinner
Sun (L) leftover from Father's Day dinner (S) Wild Rice burgers
Mon - wild rice burgers
Tues - take n bake pizza 
Wed - leftover pizza
Thurs - wild rice burgers
Fri - grilled cheese


Lunches - salmon pasta salad


Wild Rice Patty Melts (Eating Well c/o Duluth Grill, Duluth, MN) vegetarian
I love a wild rice burger.  I'm from Duluth.  I have wild rice.  What could be better?  Well...if someone else made my burger perhaps.  But!  Baring having to go out to eat I gave these a try.  Despite the rather long ingredient list. these actually came together fairly quickly.  It helped that I made the rice earlier in the day and set aside till dinner. 

A couple of modification - I used panko bread crumbs in place of the cereal (I don't have any cereal on hand); I added the caramelized onions to the burgers instead of layering on top; and I grilled these on a sheet pan on the grill because I didn't want to heat up the house when it's 80* outside. 

These were...fantastic.  Seriously, I would make these again in a heartbeat.  Tasted great right off the grill and reheated beautifully as leftovers.   Moist, flavorful, delicious. You could have a lot of fun with flavors on this one. 
photo from eatingwell.com
Recommended.

Serves 6

Burgers
1 cup wild rice
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
¾ teaspoon granulated garlic
¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
¾ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
½ cup crushed cereal squares, such as Chex
(I used Panko breadcrumbs)
½ cup finely chopped mushrooms
⅓ cup finely chopped fresh parsley plus 1 teaspoon, divided
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Onions:
1 ½ teaspoons butter
1 ½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced

Toppings:
¼ cup jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed and finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper

4 ounces sliced pepper Jack cheese
6 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted


Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.

Meanwhile, heat butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the butter stops bubbling. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are a deep golden-brown, 35 to 40 minutes.

Position racks in middle and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Combine cumin, granulated garlic, crushed red pepper and white pepper in a medium bowl. Add the cooled rice, mayonnaise, cereal, mushrooms, 1/3 cup parsley and eggs; mix well. Scoop the mixture into 6 portions on the prepared pan and shape into patties.

Bake the patties on the middle rack until firm and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon parsley, peppers, vinegar, minced garlic, basil and chipotle in a small bowl.

Turn broiler to high. Top the patties with cheese. Broil on the top rack until the cheese melts, 1 to 3 minutes. Serve the patties on toast, topped with the onions and vinaigrette.





No comments:

Popular Posts