Search This Blog

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Crafting 2020 - sewing

When COVID mandates closed most activities this spring, followed by the requirement to "MaskUP North" (our local logo), I rediscovered my sewing machine and was reminded why I started sewing.

Background: I started sewing decades ago, making Halloween costumes for my siblings on my Mom's Sear's Kenmore. Later, I discovered very basic quilts and made, oh, ten to twelve quilts for family members and acquaintances who were getting married. Quilting was set aside for the eight years I was in a Middle Eastern dance troupe and we made most of our dance costumes, which was four to five a year? That intensity and attention to detail utterly killed my enjoyment for fabrics and when I parted ways with the group, I gave the machine back to my Mom and set my sewing box in the closet. Over the next ten years or so, I think I used it once to make some holiday gift bags.

Then my sister in Oregon wanted to sew, so we did. And it was kinda fun.

And last year she bought a new sewing machine (a basic Singer) and wanted me to show her how to use it. So I did. And it was kinda fun.

As we all know, COVID came along in 2020 and for many of us, a mask requirement was enacted. I retrieved the machine from the Folks house, I dug out my leftover fabric, and found a pattern. I discovered really enjoyed the simplicity of making masks. I did a bit of online research and made my first Quilt As You Go. SO MUCH FUN! It was like painting with fabric. So I made another table runner. SO MUCH FUN! And I made more masks. And well... see below.


Quilt As You Go Table Topper
Used stashed/leftover fabric and batting
 I really want to try this technique again.




Table Runner
Modified greatly from an online free pattern I found.
Used leftover fabric and batting from my stash.
 



And of course, masks. I made some for the sister and family in Oregon, for the sister and family in the Twin Cities, for the Folks, and for myself.   Masks shown range from Adult, Child, and Toddler (over 2 years old). 

















Sports for the boys!



Matching masks for Sister, and two little neices.


Request for OSU (Oregon State University) colors.  Had to get a bit creative. :)


These are my last ones!  Done with masks - on to other projects!

No comments:

Popular Posts