Search This Blog

Friday, August 1, 2008

Tall Ships!

(Photo by Amanda Hansmeyer/News Tribune)

Duluth, MN, has a very rich maritime history, and yesterday through this weekend we had a bit of that history come to us in the way three tall sailing ships. These ships are actually a bit smaller than some tall ships I've toured elsewhere in the states, but they are still impressive. I forgot my camera at home this morning so I uploaded some pictures from the Duluth News Tribune website on the event - their photographers had a better view anyway.

(Photo by Clint Austin/News Tribune)

It was so impressive to have these beautiful sailboats under full sail sitting out on the lake and then all come in in convoy. The Pride of Baltimore and the US Brig Niagara fired their cannons as they came under the lift bridge. The Madeline was a cargo vessel and did not have any cannons. The Kaboom! reverberated through the lakefront as plumes of smoke wafted upwards. As you can see, it was an absolutely splendid afternoon for this event.


(Photo by Clint Austin/News Tribune)

(Photo by Derek Montgomery/News Tribune)

It's my understanding the US Brig Niagara is a educational sailing vessel, and for a fee, you can go on board and learn how to sail. Once you've completed your training, you are then welcome to sail with the ship as long as you like. That would be so neat!

After the crowds thinned out and the ships were docked, the Husband and I wandered down to check them out. There are all sorts of activities going on with this festival as the vessels are here through the weekend. Unfortunately, my schedule won't permit me to get back down, so I'm glad I got to see them last night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a LOT of fun.

We toured the Constitution a couple of years back. It amazed me. Those folks lived in some tight quarters!

Kristin said...

I had the opportunity to tour the Constitution in 2004, and I think they said 200 men lived on the ship while it was under sail.

The Constituion is *significantly* larger than the US Niagara and the paper reported she sailed with 198 people. Tight quarters indeed!

Gail O'Connor said...

I was wondering if you knew about this--it sounds really cool.

Popular Posts