Search This Blog

Monday, August 11, 2008

Worldcon, Denver, CO, Aug 6-10 (Day 1)

Last week I attended the World Science Fiction Convention in Denver, CO. What a whirlwind of a trip! I hardly know where to start: should I discuss the convention? The restaurants? The site seeing? I think I’ll approach this on a day by-day basis, starting with our arrival on Wednesday.

Wednesday, Aug 6
I and my traveling companions, Gail and Phyllis, arrived bright and early in Denver at 11:00am. A snafu at the hotel prevented us from checking in early, so we were forced to just store our bags and head out to the convention. The Marriot was 4 blocks from the Colorado Convention Center, a bit inconvenient, but there was a slew of shopping and restaurants between the two.

Colorado Convention Center - home of the Big Blue Bear

Lunch was in order, and we found Marlow’s. Gail and I shared halibut tacos and a arugula salad with goat cheese, dates, roasted pears and spicy pecans. Fabulous. Best fish tacos I have ever had.

Marlow's

16th Street Pedestrian Mall

The panels I attended on Wednesday included:

2008: The Year in SF
Recommended reading:
Greg Bear City at the End of Time
Ken McCleod Night Sessions
Charles Stross Saturn’s Children
Alistair Reynolds House of Sun
Carl Schroder (4 book trilogy)
Ursula LeGuin Lavinia
Neal Stephenson Anathaum
Michael Flynn January Dancer
Gene Wolff An Evil Guest
Daniel Gregory Pandemonium
Cory Doctrow Little Brother (jv fic)

Age and Wisdom: The Older Protagonist in SF
Being young isn’t everything it’s cracked up to be! This panel discusses the pros and cons of writing older, more experience characters. Panelists were: Elizabeth Moon, Larry Niven, Lois McMaster Bujold, Margaret Bonham, Robert Silverburg.

Opening Ceremonies (self explanatory) Short. Really short. Not necessarily a bad thing - the Barrayar Summerfair Regency Dance and Reception was immediately after so I think they wanted to clear out the room for it. We remained long enough to see Gails sister-in-law in her regency costume then went on our way.

Gail's SIL, in the Regency Dress

Dinner was at the hotel, where Phyllis and I shared a Club Sandwich while Gail has some spicy tomato soup. I had a Sunset Wheat Beer that was just yummy (especially after a day of traveling).

Day 1, lovely, exciting, excited to be in Denver.

No comments:

Popular Posts