Search This Blog

Monday, February 23, 2009

Recipe Review from 2/16/09

Another really good week for recipes.

This isn't a new recipe for us, but a variation on one I've made before: Turkey Alfredo Pizza, Ckng Lght, Nov 2001.
I used Joe's Whole Wheat Pizza crust; wilted my own spinach (I had some leftover), and used chicken instead of turkey. The Husband thought it was even better as leftovers the next day.

Moroccan Country Bread (Ckng Lght, Jan/Feb 09) 4.0
I linked to the recipe in the title - this posting was getting a bit long. Very easy to make, especially with a stand mixer. I did substitute about 1 1/2 cups of WW flour for white. Following the directions, I let everything mix in the stand mixer until the dough formed a lovely ball. I then hand kneaded for about five minutes. Probably a bit longer than the recipe called for, but I couldn't resist. This made three beautiful boules. I froze one for a later date and saved two for the week.



Roasted Vegetable Couscous with Onion and Pine-Nut Topping (Ckng Lght, Jan/Feb 09) 5.0
This was fantastic! A bit labor intensive so not the best for a week night dinner unless your Sous Chef can start this before you get home. I forgot to buy sweet potatoes, but I had one butternut squash left from last years garden so I subbed that. Diced squash, parsnips, carrots, olive oil and seasonings are all tossed together and baked for 30 min.

Meanwhile, I started the couscous - I subbed Israeli couscous for regular because I don't care for regular. When finished, this is tossed with chickpeas and set aside to keep warm.

Lastly, thinly sliced onions are caramelized with a bit of honey and tossed with almonds (I didn't have any pine nuts and I skipped the golden raisins). Then everything is assembled. Delicious! Absolutely delicious! I could have eaten this all week. This made enough for two dinners and one lunch when served with the bread. Lucky Hubby got the lunch...

Guiness Beef Stew (Irish Pub Ckbk) 4.0
The Husband made this and it was a delightful winter stew. Some background here - a couple years ago I made a beef stew that called for a red wine. I mistakenly used a Cabernet Sauvignon, which completely overwhelmed the recipe, and I had to force myself to eat the whole pot over the next week (I couldn't justify throwing it out. Wasteful!). The unfortunate side effect of that incident was that I have not liked beef stew since then.

This, however, was perfect. He used a Chocolate Stout from Black River Falls, WI; venison steak cut into cubes and the veggies as called for: parsnips, turnips, and carrots. The venison (or stew meat) is lightly seared with chopped onion. Beef broth is added to the pot and the meat simmered. Recipe called for simmering for 60-70 minutes (!) but he cut it back to 30 minutes. Then the veggies are added and cooked till tender-firm. A bit of a roux is mixed into thicken the sauce and everything is served over mashed potatoes.

Do you know, I couldn't tell you the last time I made mashed potatoes. I'd almost forgotten how delightful they are. We both thought with some adjustment to cooking time (or even doing this in the crockpot) this would be a nice recipe to make again.


I finished the week by make a fresh batch of yogurt (needed to use up some milk before it went bad) and a fresh batch of granola. I skipped the raisins in this batch this time - they get tough and chewy. I tried craisins to see if they stay softer longer.

And to use up the rotisserie leftovers...and the extra pie crust from the quiche last week; and the slightly freezer-burned veggies in the freezer) I made this Chicken Potpie from Ckng Lght. It's made on the stove top with the "crust" bakes in the oven. I like this one in particular because you can use whatever veggies you have on hand, it only makes 3 servings, and you can keep the "crust" crispy until you combine the two. I really dislike soggy crusts.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Popular Posts