Search This Blog

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Monster Hunter International: Seige by Larry Correia (MHI #6)

Monster Hunter Siege (Monster Hunter International, #6)Monster Hunter Siege by Larry Correia

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Jacket Blurb: When Monster Hunter International's top hunter, Owen Zastava Pitt, was given a tip about some hunters who had gone missing in action, he didn’t realize their rescue mission would snowball into the single biggest operation in MHI's history. Their men are being held prisoner in a horrific nightmare dimension, and the only way to reach them is through the radioactive ruins of a monster-infested war zone.

As if that wasn't bad enough, it’s also the home base of the powerful creature behind the devastating attacks on the Last Dragon and Copper Lake. It turns out ancient gods of chaos really hate trespassers. But this god picked a fight with the wrong crew, and now MHI wants payback. Calling on their allies, a massive expedition is formed, and with the odds stacked against them, a legion of hunters goes to war.

It’s D-Day at the City of Monsters.


I admit, at first glance this shouldn't be a book I would pick up - because seriously, gun wielding monster hunting accountants? But both my Dad and I greatly enjoy this series and I see the next installment is due out this year. Yay!

Premise of the book is this is the final showdown between the monster hunters and Asag, ultimate bad assed god from the nightmare dimension and it's all going down on Severgy Island (sp?) in Russia. It's up to Owen to cross into the alternate reality, rescue the stranded Hunters, and destroy Asag. No pressure there.

I'll note - if you haven't read this series yet, you do need to start with Monster Hunter International (MHI #1). Books cannot be read as astand alone.

About half the book is prep for the attack on Asag: Owen and Earl marshaling forces, training the forces, moving equipment and people, logistics, spreadsheets! and reminising. A quarter of the book is actually landing on the Island and getting Owen to the gate,where the Monster Hunters go in with guns blazing from the moment the supply boat approaches shore to the time the leave the island.

And there's the rest I'm not going to tell you about.

The whole book moves smartly along. I was interested, I was engaged, I felt bad about the giant, I was irritated with family events even though I knew how *that* was going to play out. Owen's time spent in the nightmare realm was verrryy interesting indeed.

I will note, and for those of you following the series you'll understand, this is a transition book. Correia has set up book #7 for us quite nicely.

Recommended if you've read the first five in the series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts