Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2019

Recipe Review from 4/8/2018

Last week was kinda a busy and weird. Husband was out of town for the first part of the week for a work function.I was busy with work and my classes. Then Snow-mageddon hit on Thursday and Friday which shut down half the City, but not where I work. And it all ended in my first ever Meditation workshop which I still have mixed thoughts about.

But with all of that, a handful of new recipes were made.I can post two of the three, the Roast Duck with Bourbon Gravy and Boudin Stuffing was just too long to retype.

The Meal Plan from last week:
Sat (L) Leftovers(S)Pizza
Sun (L) Chicken Parmesan (S) Roast Duck
Mon (yoga/Husband out) leftover parmesan
Tues (Husband out) leftover parmesan
Wed - leftover duck
Thurs (Snowstorm!) leftover boudin stuffing with a brat
Fri- Country Fish Chowder


Roast Duck with Bourbon Gravy and Boudin Stuffing(Kevin Belton, New Orleans Kitchen)

Apologies, but this recipe was just a bit to much to type out and it's not available on the website.  And alas, I seem to have deleted my picture!  Phooey.

This was easier than I anticipated, but found the order of assembly and cooking needed to be flipped. The recipe starts with cooking the duck, then making the gravy (all which went very smoothly!) and then making the stuffing...which needed 45 minutes to bake! So now I have my duck and gravy sitting on the stove while I wait for the stuffing when I could have had the stuffing baking, and have been assembling the duck and gravy.

Oh well. It still turned out awesome. I would make this again (swapping the assembly order) and I would make this for company. Go check out the cook book, it's pretty awesome and a lot of fun recipes.


Country Fish Chowder (Taste of Home Soups)
Oh my! This was GOOD! And so easy to assemble. I did a handful of modifications - I skipped the bacon (didn't have any on hand); I used frozen corn and then added one cup of broth for the additional liquid; and I used cod, then cut into 1" pieces.The recipe has you cooking the cod separately, which is NOT necessary.

Serve with warm crusty bread, saltine crackers and cheese, or a side salad. I also put some Tabasco sauce on the table for a little hit of heat. I plan on making this again and again. Recommended!

Made about 9 servings (three suppers for two, and three lunches for one)

Photo from Taste of Home
1 cup chopped onion
4 bacon strips, chopped (I skipped)3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
(I used 1 1/2 cups frozen corn and 1 cup stock)
1 can (6-1/2 ounces) chopped clams, undrained
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound fish fillets (haddock, cod or flounder), cut into 1" pieces
Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
Minced chives, optional


In a large saucepan, cook onion and bacon over medium heat until onion is tender; drain. Add milk, corn, clams, potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in fish and [cook for 10 more minutes or until fish is flaky]. Ladle into bowls. If desired, top with bacon and chives.

Skillet Chicken Parmesan (Eating Well, Jan/Feb 2019)
This was easy to make and I actually made it as written with the exception of butterflying the chicken for faster and more even cooking.

This was also one of the blandest dishes I've made in a while.  Even the Husband commented on how bland it was - as in...no flavor bland.  In hindsight, you would be better off buying a jar of your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce and using two cups of that instead of flavorless tomato sauce.  Because seriously, a couple cloves of garlic just weren't enough to boost the seasonings.

Recommended with reservations.

This does make four servings. 

photo from Eating Well
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
4 chicken breast cutlets (4 ounces each, about ½ inch thick)
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon sliced garlic
2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
(My notes: use a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce)
1 cup torn fresh basil, divided
¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Position rack in middle of oven; preheat broiler to high.

Place panko in a shallow dish and dredge cutlets in it, pressing gently to fully coat.

Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; add half the cutlets and cook until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1½ tablespoons oil and the remaining cutlets. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce and sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Nestle the cutlets into the sauce in the pan. Top with ½ cup basil, mozzarella and Parmesan. Transfer the pan to the oven.

No comments:

Popular Posts