Search This Blog

Monday, April 22, 2019

Recipe Review from 4/14/2019 and Minicon

An uneventful week, the latter half of which I was in the Cities for my yearly trip to Minicon, a science fiction convention in it's 54th year.  I have not been to all 54 years (not old enough), but I have been to 25.  I struggled to find panels of interest this year, and ended up at the Dave DeVries Digital Art Demonstration, Tai Chi, Qigong, Social implications of DNA testing, and the Finding Commonality panels.  The rest of the time I just hung out, hit a few yoga classes, and went out to eat.  All in all, a very relaxing weekend.

Restaurants of Note:
Salut Bar Americain,  Edina (50th and France)  French-American    A favorite of mine when I'm in the area.
Rojo Mexican Grill   St. Louis Park    Mexican-American   New to me restaurant - very good Spicy Shrimp tacos and best version of "fried rice" I've had yet.  I'd definitely go back.
Yard House  St. Louis Park    American sports pub.  100+ beers and ciders on tap if you like variety.  Shrimp taco's were very tasty.
Taste of India   St. Louis Park (Wayzata Blvd)   Indian.  Outstanding.  I end up here whenever I stay at this Doubletree.   

But I digress from the meal plan
Sun (L) Leftover soup   (S) Paella
Mon (yoga) leftover paella
Tues - more leftover paella
Wed - and leftover paella
Thurs - Sun  Minicon!

Caribbean Paella (Kevin Belton's New Orleans Kitchen)
And this is where I'm going point you in the direction of his cookbook, because this recipe didn't quite turn out for me.  Oh, it tasted good, but I ended up with Caribbean risotto and not paella.  I suspect it was because I became impatient and instead of adding the water 1 tablespoon at a time, I did it by the 1/2 cup.

So. Yeah.  Risotto.  Good risotto though, with andouille sausage, chicken and shrimp all topped off with a hit of Tabasco sauce for heat.    But not paella. 

No comments:

Popular Posts