Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2019

Recipe Review from 4/1/2019

The meal plan kinda morphed and changed over the duration of the week as I wasn't on the ball with purchasing and cooking (ie, can't plan for duck on Sunday when the duck is frozen on Saturday.    So some shuffling happened and oddly, it all works out.

No recipe for the "fresh" Cod (seriously? I live in the middle of the country near the Canadian border, it's not "fresh".)  I have developed a fondness for poached Cod, probably a leftover from growing up when Mom would boil these fish (haddock or cod I suspect) rectangles for Lent and we'd get to dip them in butter.   My version is a bit more grown-up, where I add lemon, onion and peppercorns to the water, bring to a boil, add the fish, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.  So good! 

The Meal Plan
Sat (L) leftover pozole  (S) Poutine!
Sun (L) leftover pozole  (S)  Cod
Mon (yoga)  Cod
Tues - Shrimp Stir fry
Wed - Pasty
Thurs (yoga) leftover shrimp
Fri (yoga) leftover sweet potato chili

Lunches - turkey sandwiches with apple and gouda or cheddar; luna bars, nuts, fruit

Shrimp Stir-fry with Bacon, Green Pepper and Pineapple (Eating Well, April 2019)
This is very easy, and made easier if you have everything mise en place

Now, I don't have Shaozing rice wine on hand, nor was I inclinded to go buy a bottle for 2 tablespoons.  Seriously?!?  I used dry sherry and you can easily sub broth if so inclined.

You can easily skip the bacon. 

And you can easily substitute a can of pineapple chunks and not have to fuss around with a fresh pineapple for 1 1/2 cups.  A can comes pre-measured!  My recommendation would be to start the pineapple draining first, so it's ready at the end.

My last note - I used garlic chili sauce because I don't have access to sweet.  It made the dish a tich spicier than we care for so if you make a similar substitution, cut back to 1 tbsp. 

Otherwise - this was pretty good.  And good for a weeknight meal.  Recommended.

2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
(My note: If using garlic chili sauce, drop to 1 tbsp or less)
2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine  or dry sherry
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari  (I used soy sauce)
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces    
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
12 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21-25 count)
1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces  I forgot to add them
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1½ cups chopped fresh pineapple (1-inch pieces)  (I used 1-15oz can pineapple in juice, drained well)
 
Combine chili sauce, rice wine (or sherry), tamari, water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set next to the stove.
 
Cook bacon in a large flat-bottom wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate.
 
Add bell pepper to the drippings in the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add shrimp, scallions, ginger and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir the reserved sauce and add to the pan along with pineapple and the bacon. Cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute more.

No comments:

Popular Posts