Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2007

Recipe Review 3/12/07

A couple recipe reviews back I posted about wheat berries. I now LOVE these delectable little bundles of nutty fiber! They are super easy to prepare, and they freeze and thaw beautifully. I made two recipes using these yummy nuggets.

Cumin-scented Wheat Berry Soup (Eating Well Mar/Apr 07, pg 68) 7
French lentils (remember these from my Lentils and Kielbasa post? Love them too!) are simmered in a vegetable broth till softened (about 30 minutes). Meanwhile, carrots and onions are sauteed with cumin and added to the soup along with chopped red chard and pre-made wheat berries. I loved the nuttiness the berries added to the savory lentils. Chard was also a new ingredient for me and I really enjoyed it. It didn't get bitter like spinach often does and added a lovely green color (plus good nutrients!) to the soup. This made a solid 6 servings for lunches.

Wheat Berry and Black Bean Chili (Eating Well Mar/Apr 07, pg 69) 7
Onions, diced tomatoes, black beans, and wheat berries form the base for this chipolte flavored chili. Another very easy and quick to assemble dish. Saute onions with seasonings, add beans and tomatoes, simmer. Add berries toward the end of the cooking time to heat through. That's it. It's topped with diced avocado which is a lovely counter point to the light spiciness of the dish.



Sweet Corn Muffins (Ckng Lght Jan/Feb 07, pg 207) 8
I made these to compliment the chili above. These were really good! The recipe was touted as a "breakfast muffin" and they were perhaps a bit sweet, but I thought they went perfectly with the spice of the chili. Especially warm with a pat of butter and honey. Very quick and easy to assemble with only 20 minutes baking time. I individually wrapped and froze what I wasn't going to eat for lunches at a later time. I would definitely make this recipe again!

No comments:

Popular Posts