Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2007

Recipe Review 3/5/07 (cont)

Okay, we're slowly catching up here. Here are the rest of February's recipes:

Corn and Kielbasa Chowder (Rachel Ray Everyday, Feb 07, insert) 8
This turned out really tasty. And it was fairly quick to throw together - which I proved by making it the morning I needed it for lunches! I forgot to make it Sunday night, see, so I had to get up a bit earlier on Monday so I would have a lunch for the week.
8 oz of kielbasa is browned and set aside. One large onion is sauteed in some butter, the fond from the kielbasa flavoring it nicely. Once golden, vegetable broth (recipe calls for chicken but veggie was what I had on hand) is added, along with one baking potato. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potato is done. Add 1 cup of half-n-half and thawed frozen corn and bring back to temp, take one cup out and blend it smooth, then add it and the kielbasa back in. It took about 45 minutes total, and most of that was letting it simmer on the stove. I was able to make my breakfast and assemble the rest of my lunch in plenty of time to get out and shovel before leaving for work. Delicious!

Cuban Style Pork and Rice (Eating Well, Mar/Apr 07, pg 64) 6
This was a take on a Spanish Paella, but supposedly with a Cuban flair. It was fairly easy to assemble and I actually had most of the ingredients on hand. I did have to buy the pork chop and the shrimp. A seasoned paste is made from paprika, chili powder, some additional seasonings and some liquid. A boneless cubed porkchop is mixed in then sauted till brown and set aside. Brown rice and onion are added to the pot to "deglaze" the pan and pick up all the seasonings. Add in the liquid, simmer till rice is done. Add in meat and shrimp and pop into the oven for about 20 minutes.

I did have some troubles with the rice taking much longer than written, but I just adjusted accordingly. The biggest surprise was how bland it was. Given the amount of paprika and chili powder I had expected a bit more zing. Not that it wasn't good, just bland. Made about 5 servings.

No comments:

Popular Posts