Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Recipe Review 3/26/07

Okay, after my long explanation about why posting dates don't match when I made the recipe, I was looking over my "drafts in waiting" and realized I had screwed my recipe review posts up. So. I am posting another recipe review this week in an attempt to bring some order back to my drafts. I'll be posting a book review on Friday. Sorry, no pictures this go around.

So the trend continues: a dessert and two main dishes for the week. One for suppers and one for lunches. Last weeks recipes were just sort of eh.

Cakey Brownies (Duluth News Trib, 2/28/07) 4
How? How can you screw up a brownie recipe? By following the directions that's how. I promised the book group I would bring brownies to our next meeting as they have been following my oven adventures from the time the old one died to the installation of the new one. Ironically, just after the Feburary meeting the Duluth paper published a whole article on brownies so I took that as an omen and I made the Cakey Brownies.

What a disappointment! I can only conclude that something was not right with the recipe. These tasted okay, if not a bit rich, but they didn't rise. They didn't spread out (or up). They took 20 minutes longer than the direction called for to finish baking. They just didn't do anything! It wouldn't have been such a big deal but they were for a group (I brought them anyway) and I used up the last of my Penzey's cocoa powder. This recipe got pitched and I will make a new recipe for my sci fi friends in April.

(Adding a note here to say that the book group loved the brownies and they felt nothing was wrong with the recipe!)

Mexican Black Beans and Rice (Ckng Lght Ckbk 1991 c/o CLBB) 6
This was a super easy dish to make - onion, yellow pepper, rice, black beans, and tomato. Saute onions and yellow pepper. Add rice and seasonings. Add black beans and tomato. Serve. That's it. Except for it was incredibly bland. Some salsa and sour cream helped. It also made a lot so I had blandness for the week. Oh well!

Chuncky Red Dal Soup (Ckng Lght Jan/Feb 07, pg 170) 7
This was also super easy to make. Saute onion and garlic until softened. Add ginger and seasonings and saute briefly. Add water, lentils, chickpeas and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes. Add lemon juice and hot sauce. That's it. This was pleasant without being too spicy or too bland.

1 comment:

Gail O'Connor said...

I think brownies are actually fairly complicated--they need to be sort of fudgy but not undercooked. Likewise, you can't overcook them. Dry brownies are awful. I'll take your word for it that the recipe was disappointing, though.

Remember the meatball soup I made and reported was boring? It was much better the second day, thank goodness. Soups sometimes improve with age.

Popular Posts