Search This Blog

Friday, July 4, 2008

Brasyl by Ian McDonald


Hugo nominee #4.

I couldn’t finish this one either. This is set in Brazil with three different time lines: 1300's, 2006 and 2036. I made it 1/3 of the way through and honestly, I couldn’t even begin to tell you what the premise of the book is. I spent most of my attention trying to decipher what all the Portugese meant - which is my main gripe. I’m from Minnesota. I speak a Canadian dialect. I used to be somewhat fluent in German. I know a smattering of Spanish. Portugese? Forget it. There was just too much of the language thrown in, I don’t know how to even pronounce it and when I can’t pronounce something, even in my head, my brain begins to just gloss over it. This makes me irritated.

The only time line that was even interesting me was the one set in the 1300's with a Jesuit priest. I almost felt like skipping ahead and just reading that bit, but I have a feeling I would be missing some thing vital and be even more frustrated.

Perhaps Brasyl has a spectacular ending, I’m just not going to get there.

1 comment:

Gail O'Connor said...

Personally, I liked the story line about the priest least well of the three. I had no idea what the hell was going on in the other two, but I didn't care for the priest story. I didn't finish the book, either.

Popular Posts