Search This Blog

Monday, July 28, 2008

Recipe Review from 7/21/08

Whoo-ee! Five recipes last week! The Husband and I were on a roll (tehe, no pun intended!).


Curried Lentil, Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard (Ckng Lght BB c/o New York Times) 4.0
We planted Swiss Chard this year and right now it is about the only thing in the garden that is doing well. So I have been on a quest for Swiss Chard recipes and I found this on on the Ckng Lght BB. What I liked even more about this recipe was the only thing I had to buy was the sweet potato.

This was super easy to make. Saute onion, add spices (garam masala, curry powder, a few other things), add veggie broth, sweet potato, lentils and simmer for about 30-45 minutes, or until potato and lentils have softened. Add chopped chard and cook till wilted. This didn't recommend any side dishes, so I made up some basmati rice and served it over that. Very tasty indeed. This also made a lot, so I divied it up into some smaller tubs to have upon my return from Denver.



Cheesy Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches (Every Day with RR, Aug 08) 4.5
Every now and then again I like a different kind of grilled cheese. This one grabbed my attention the moment I saw the picture. Thin layers of Jarlsberg cheese, proscuttio and eggplant and lovingly grilled. Yum! Super easy to make. Thinly slice (and peel if you want, I do) a small eggplant. Lightly spritz some oil on each side of the rounds and season with pepper. Grill till soft. Meanwhile, layer proscuitto and Jarlsberg cheese on some peasant or artisanal bread. Place grilled eggplant on the prepared bread, combine into sandwiches and grill till cheese is soft and bread nicely toasted. Eat! As RR would say, Yum-O!



Trout and Zucchini Kebabs (Every Day with RR, Aug 08) 4.0
The Husband was in charge of making this dish. Trout as a sub for swordfish, zucchini and nectarines. The trout was marinated in some homemade ginger ale (7-up mixed with some freshly grated ginger) before everything was combined on the skewers. He was rather dubious about the grilled nectarines, but after all was grilled and served, we decided they were quite tasty. The whole dish turned out very good and easy enough for a weeknight.



Grilled Chicken Tostadas (Ckng Lgnt, July 08, pg 182) 4.0
It's been a while since I've done anything with chicken, and this sounded different and tasty. I had a slew of modifications going on here, as I missed important "marinate for 30 minutes" bits and it was getting rather late at night. A red onion is thinly sliced and mixed with orange juice, red wine vinegar and salt. This is marinated for 2 hours.

The chicken was supposed to marinate for 30 minutes in a sauce, but I realized that too late so I said screw it. I combined the marinade ingredients - subbing a chipolte chili for a unknown Mexican paste - in a sauce pan and brought to a simmer and set aside. Then I attempted to pound out the chicken breasts, only to make a mess on the counter and said screw-it to pounding out #3. They went on the grill.

Meanwhile, several corn tortillas are lightly sprayed with olive oil and set aside to await their turn on the grill. The Hubby brought in the chicken breasts for me to shred and took the tortillas out to toast. I shredded all three and then combined with the marinade, making it more of a sauce to cover everything. I think this was the way to go. Very flavorful.

These were served with Monterrey jack cheese (sub for queso fresco), avocado, lettuce, and the pickled onions. Duane liked his tortillas softer, like a soft taco where I liked the crispy flat tortilla. I would make these again, with all my modifications.

Mint Margaritas (Ckng Lght, July 08, pg 185) 2.0
When I picked out the Chicken Tostadas, I thought Mexican! Margaritas! And knew there was this Mint version just a page over. I whipped this up. Well...I didn't get it into the freezer in time for dinner so first serving was "on the rocks". Eh. Didn't grab my fancy. Incredibly sweet. So when I had the leftovers the next night I pulled the bag out of the freezer, tossed additional ice into the glasses and added a splash more tequila before serving. Better, but still not good. I couldn't finish mine. Next time I'll stick with my traditional margaritas.

No comments:

Popular Posts