Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2008

Recipe Review from 6/30/08

Did everyone have a good holiday weekend? Lots of sun and fun I hope. It’s been a busy week and my dishes made some great leftovers so not as much to report on this week.


Middle Eastern Chickpea Platter (Eating Well, July/Aug 08, pg 30) 5.0
This was a fantastic dish on so many levels. It was vegetarian (I’ve been trying to cut back the meat consumption in our house), it was so easy and quick to prepare, it tasted great, and we had enough for a second meal the next day.

Cubed eggplant (I used Japanese and peeled them) and garlic are briefly seared in olive oil. To this is added chickpeas, parsley and a tahini mixture of lemon juice and water and everything is briefly warmed then set aside.

On a large platter arrange thinly sliced tomatoes, feta, olives, thinly sliced red onion and wedges of pita pockets or folds. Add the chickpea mixture and serve. It is honestly that simple and delicious.

Picture from EatingWell.com

Tijuana Torta (Eating Well, July/Aug 08, pg 32)
This one grabbed my attention because it was BEANS and I could make it into lunches. Black beans are mashed with salsa, a bit of pickled jalapeno and cumin to make a hummus type paste. We used a tomatillo salsa because I had it on hand from a different dish. Then mash an avocado with lime juice and onion. The recipe called for shredded cabbage, but I used my standard broccoli slaw. The beans are spread on a baguette or in my case, a cibiatta loaf, then topped with the avocado and slaw. Something a bit different and refreshing for these warm summer days.

No comments:

Popular Posts