Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2008

Recipe Review from 7/14/08

Between a three day yoga workshop down in the Cities (Matthew Sweeney at the Yoga House) and a trip to Goegibic, MI, to visit the Grandpa, I made exactly one new recipe. It tasted good, but got demerits in the instruction department. And I forgot to take a picture, darn it.

Miso-Sesame Noodle Salad (Vegetarian Times, June 08, pg 50) 3.0
The little blurb talks about how this is a cold noodle salad, but the directions said nothing about serving it cold. So I didn’t. My first act was to substitute vermicelli for the called-for Asian or rice noodles. This is the main reason I don’t make Asian dishes much – so many call for somewhat obscure-to-me ingredients that I only use once or twice. While the water for the noodles came to a boil, I pureed tofu, miso, ginger, lemon juice and a jalapeño pepper in my food processor. Noodles are now happily cooking, so I sautéed up the remainder of the tofu and set it aside, then sautéed the eggplant, bell pepper and snow peas and mushroom (oyster – the shitake looked unappetizing in the bin).

This is where the directions seemed incomplete: it called for tossing the veggies and the noodles, but never said when to add the tofu-miso “dressing”. I erred on the side of caution and served it separately. Both the Husband and I liked the flavor and colors of the dish; I didn’t like the vague directions. Still, I would consider making this again now that I know what I feel I should do. I halved this and it served two for dinner with enough for one lunch.

No comments:

Popular Posts